lighting neded for star polyps and button polyps

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

revant01

AC Members
Jan 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
What lighting intensity do i need to grow star polyps and button polyps. I am going to be limited to about 3 watts per gallon for a couple of months. Would it be better to wait until i can get some brighter lights. Right now the hood is packed with a heap of 5' 80 watt fluros which gives me about 3 watts per gallon.

Fishiebusiness

Fish Newbie
Oct 8, 2001
Berkeley, CA
www.picturetrail.com
Button polyps and star polyps are real hardy and don't need too much light. 3 wpg should be enough to keep them growing, albeit very very slowly. No need to wait.

It really depends on the type of lights you are using. NO (no output) lighting, PC (power complact) lighting, or VHO (Very high output) lighting. Which one would it be?

To answer your question, more than likely your lighting will be good enough. Button, and green star polyps usually don't require intence lighting, and usually do well under a mildly lit aquarium. I personally wouldn't keep these corals under NO lighting, for the fact that they will probably not thrive, and you won't see stunning results in their growth. NO lighting isn't exactly disinged for keeping the zooxanthellae alive in corals, but rather to provide some color, or lighting to the aquarium. Actinic lighting is also extremely important in keeping coals. It would also help to know what kelven rating your lights are, which ones are actinic, which ones are daylight, as well as what type the lighting is.

PH :)

revant01

AC Members
Jan 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
unfortunatly they are NO bulbs. I am experimenting with a solar collector and fibre optic channeling of light so dont really want to fork out on new bulbs/lights unless i cant get this going. I expect it will take me at least a month more before i have anything going or not, as i have a bunch of other projects to finish during these holidays.

So i think i should wait. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store