Wisteria Losing Leaves?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
In the past two weeks I've noticed my water wisteria go from being really densely planted to becoming thin and void of leaves along the stem of the plant. I haven't made any major changes for a month aside from weekly water changes, and the only change in the tank seems to be my Dempsey acting normally again. The tank is a 125g with 2 T8 4' long 2 bulb shop lights for lighting, and pool filter sand with root tabs for substrate. All of the wisteria in the tank has reacted this way, and I can't figure out why. I did rearrange the tank a month ago, and my bba is slowly being eliminated by my SAE's, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Maybe new root tabs?

Will upload pictures in a moment, any help would be appreciated.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
These are the current pictures, the last one is from a few months ago. A month ago the tank was even more filled in wisteria, it looked like a giant bushy wall back there as opposed to empty stems with some leaves on top.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1394487875.845450.jpg ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1394487891.683400.jpg ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1394487907.681229.jpg ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1394487957.466073.jpg

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
This is due to a lack of nutrients. Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis) is a very fast-growing plant, and that means more light and higher level of nutrients to balance. My attempts with this plant did the same, though in my case I believe it was specifically due to my very soft water as I was dosing a basic liquid fertilizer.

Substrate tabs willnot do much alone, as plants take up some nutrients primarily or solely via the leaves. A liquid fertilizer additive is better here, as the leaves and roots can take up the nutrients from the water.

What is the GH of your water? This matters as I mentioned above, because most liquid fertilizer preparations are geared for "most" areas that have moderately hard water. Those of us in areas of very soft water (my tap water GH is near zero at 0.5 dGH or 8 ppm) need to also add the "hard" minerals like calcium, magnesium, etc. which are present but not sufficiently in comprehensive liquid fertilizers.

To ensure I understand the lighting, you have four 48-inch tubes over this tank? I assume the tank is five feet in length? What are the tubes in Kelvin or CRI? It will say this, or might, at one end.

Byron.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Not sure what the GH of the water is, and the api root tabs alone were working pretty well for the past 3 months or so. The tank is 6' x 18" x 24" I believe, standard 125g dimensions. The lighting is offset so that the whole top is covered by light, with the middle recieving twice as much where the shop lights overlap. Lighting used is here: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia...-Fluorescent-1242ZG-RE/202052422#.UeXPKI3Cmtx with T8 6300k bulbs.

I really want to avoid liquid ferts if possible because of the size of the tank and the budget I'm working with. Would new root tabs be the solution here? My wisteria has some pretty nice roots built up and seemed to thrive on it before. How many should I use and how long will they last?

My other plants (swords, anubias, java fern) all seem to be doing pretty well. I'll upload a video in a second of the tank from 2-3 weeks ago before I had the wisteria start to lose leaves.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
My Wisteria also lasted for a couple months, can't remember exactly, but around 4-5 I think.

You willnot get this fixed without liquid fertilizer. Now, it needn't be the preparations like Flourish Comprehensive Supplement; you can also buy dry nutrients and mix your own. Those with high-tech setups do this as it is less expensive. I have low-tech so the liquid is not that much long-term when I buy the 2 litre jug which lasts me just over one year, used weekly in my six tanks. Don't know what tabs you were/are using, but they are generally more expensive long-term than the liquid, even if they were better or comparable.

As I said, substrate fertilizers will not provide all that is needed. These are excellent for targetting heavy root feeders like swords, aponogeton, lotus. But they are specifically made not to diffuse into the water column (to prevent possible algae issues) so the plants will not be getting everything. Now, water changes and fish foods also provide nutrients, but these may not be in sufficient quantity for the plants.

The GH you can ascertain from the municipal water supply folks, if on municipal water; they likely have a website with data posted, or they can ask you. No need to waste money on a kit and use it once.

Byron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store