Tank is finally working out, stocking needs help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
Hey guys, finally almost done stocking. Right now it's at 5 red eye tetras, 5 peppered cories, 2 south american bumble bee catfish, and one farlowella doing surprisingly well on the last bits of algae he hasn't eaten and both spirulina wafers and catfish pellets. I still want to add a male cacatuoides or a pair. I need to know if this is too much. Things can be taken out but I would prefer not to as it is a 26 bowfront and is an extremely tall tank. The tetras are supposed to swim in the upper levels but they are so shy so I might be willing to switch them out for a smaller and more outgoing species.
Any help is appreciated,
Cole

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Maybe a school of Brass Tetras?? They school higher in tank.

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
I will look into those. They school high enough but they hide in the back corner unless they are eating. I am getting some frogbit so it may help with this I will see.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Yes, floating plants make a big difference. Characins (tetra, hatchets, pencils) occur in dimly-lit waters, whether flooded forest under the tree canopy or in streams thick with marginal vegetation or floating plants. Colours will brighten, fish will be less "uneasy," and more natural in behaviours with a roof over them.

If you want a different "tetra," some ideas: Pencilfish, like Beckford's pencilfish (Nannostomus beckfordi) in a group of 9-12 (these remain in the upper half of the water column, among floating plants). Or N. eques, common names Rocket or Diptail Pencilfish, swim at an angle among floating plants. The dwarf pencil, N. marginatus is another. Hatchetfish, those in the genus Carnegiella would be better here as they are smaller and less active; Marble (C. strigata) are popular.

Byron.

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
I think I will eventually switch out the tetras for about 6-8 pencilfish. Is what I have plus the apistos too much?

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
I think I will eventually switch out the tetras for about 6-8 pencilfish. Is what I have plus the apistos too much?
No, if you are regular with water changes and have live plants (esp those floating I mentioned). I would only add the pencilfish (whatever species) if you decide to remove the present red eye tetra. The A. cacatuoides might be best as a lone male here. The slower (less active) pencilfish will actually be better that the more active tetra.

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
Ok so switching the tetras for pencilfish and getting a lone male cacatuoides looks like my best option. If this is too much let me know but could I add another farlowella for a breeding pair? If not that is fine I am just looking at my options.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
Ok so switching the tetras for pencilfish and getting a lone male cacatuoides looks like my best option. If this is too much let me know but could I add another farlowella for a breeding pair? If not that is fine I am just looking at my options.
Fine. And another Farlowella, assuming the small true Farlowella species (not the larger "Royal" ones that are not strictly speaking in the same genus), is fine. Mine spawn all the time. I am raising a few fry, but they grow so very slowly, and are not the easiest to feed. Dried leaves have worked best. I started with three, sex unknown, and after they settled which took almost two years, spawning commenced and it turned out I had two females and one male. The male will spawn with both females, and a t one point I had two sets of eggs he was guarding, laid about a week apart by the two females. One of the females died a while back, no idea why, but the remaining pair spawn every few weeks.

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
Alright thank you. All the farlowella info is very helpful. I have farlowella vittata and I plan on picking up a mate/friend for it soon. :):):):)

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
That being the fish, which is the one I have, here is an excerpt from a profile of this species that I authored a while back that may provide some info:

Farlowella vittata

Family:
Loricariidae, Subfamily Loricariinae

Common Names: Twig Catfish, Stick Catfish

Origin and Habitat: Columbia and Venezuela. Occurs in areas of heavy vegetation and tangled roots along the banks of slow-flowing forest rivers and streams and in floodplains and bogs.

Compatibility/Temperament: Suitable for any soft and acidic water community aquarium with other peaceful and non-aggressive fish. Slow feeding, it cannot have boisterous fish as tankmates. May be kept singly or in groups; male territorial disputes never result in injury.

Twig Catfish Diet

Vegetarian; algae (common green) and diatoms (brown algae) will readily be grazed from every plant leaf and object in the aquarium. Must be supplemented with vegetable-based tablet and pellet foods such as algae and spirulina wafers. Will eat most prepared sinking foods. As a treat, cucumber slices, kale and blanched spinach may be offered.

Discussion

The identification of this species is not a certainty. Of the more than 30 known species of Farlowella found throughout South America, only two are regularly exported. Most of the existing literature refers to these as F. acus and F. gracilis, but several authorities believe this is incorrect, and consider the fish offered as F. acus to in fact be the subject species. The sketch of F. acus [here F. vittata] and F. gracilis by Sterba reproduced below shows the differences between the two commonly-available species. Both are identical in their requirements in the aquarium.

The genus was named by Carl and Rosa Eigenmann (1889) in honour of the American botanist from Harvard, William Gibson Farlow (1844-1919), who specialized in algae plants. And this is certainly one of the finest algae-eating fish, comparable to the common Otocinclus. A trio of Farlowella will easily keep a 90g aquarium free of common green and brown algae.

This fish is truly a camouflage expert among aquarium fish; hanging or sitting motionless on a branch they are easily unnoticed, as illustrated in the photos below. They move from surface to surface, usually with short "hops;" swimming when necessary is achieved by body undulations and propulsion from the caudal fin. They are believed to have a lifespan of up to 15 years; their frequent demise in aquaria is likely due to their demand for stable water parameters and conditions, and they should only be introduced to an established aquarium containing algae. They do not appreciate being moved, and once introduced to an aquarium should be left alone. Like most of the South American catfish, they are sensitive to chemicals and medications; when irritating substances are present in the water they will frequently select a plant leaf or object near the surface and remain motionless with their rostrum protruding above the water in an attempt to gain oxygen, and an immediate partial water change should be undertaken.

Farlowella differ from the other Loricaria fish in the positioning of the dorsal fin which is opposite the anal fin on Farlowella rather than anterior to it. Males have a broader rostrum (snout) and develop rows of bristle-like odontotes along it as they mature. Not difficult to spawn in very soft, acidic water and very dim lighting. The male guards the eggs; after hatching, the fry are difficult to raise since they require very soft vegetable matter. The write (Byron) has had success using dried oak leaves which the fry will graze.

Several different species [commonly referred to as Royal Farlowella, etc] attain a considerably larger size and are only appropriate in much larger aquaria. F. vittata was described by the great American ichthyologist Dr. George S. Meyers in 1942. The species epithet is Latin for striped, a reference to the stripe along the fish.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store