Would people be interested in this?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

leshrimp

AC Members
Jul 6, 2013
I was thinking of creating a website similar to aquabid but much improved, it would be faster with a nicer theme and have more of an established community where users can earn awards and badges with successful sales and there will be a chat.<br>Do you think people would be interested in this? If so give me some more ideas.

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
Of course people would be interested. Finding and purchasing new and wondrous things on the internet is always exciting. I think having a trading/RAOK section like our marketplace here would be beneficial

qwe123

AC Members
Jul 30, 2008
Western Mass
That all sounds great, especially the faster part... but Aquabid is huge, how would you draw such a crowd?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
That all sounds great, especially the faster part... but Aquabid is huge, how would you draw such a crowd?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
With things aquabid lacks. Such as a chat area & nicer theme.

If a website like this were to be created i would like it to be a bit more user friendly. I never purchased any fish related things online but any time i go to that site it can be a little confusing to find what your looking for.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

atreis

AC Members
Nov 24, 2013
SW Ohio
Not to be discouraging, but it tends to be hard to overthrow an established site. Chat doesn't strike me as a useful feature for a sales site, and awards and badges only have meaning (to me at least) if they somehow relate to the reliability of buyers and sellers. Prettier (and more modern) interface would be great, but isn't going to be enough to get people to switch.

I have two AquaBid usage patterns:

1. I want something. I go there, look for whatever it is (it's usually quite specific) and buy if it's there for a reasonable price. While the AquaBid UI is fairly awful it gets the job done.
2. I want to learn about different options available in a category. I browse the categories and open items when I don't know what they are or want to know more about them.

A couple ideas for things that could be useful:

1. A better search feature with more advanced search options, ability to search specific fields, ability to do some boolean queries.
2. More fields in the description of the items. (e.g. A specific field for the species name, and separate fields for the common names.) This ties in with #1.
3. In the listing of items in a category or search results show thumbnail photos, and if one hovers over a photo, show additional detail - it's nice to not have to click away from the list unless the item really is interesting.
4. Better features for quantity selling. E.g. A seller has N fish of a particular type available, and is willing to sell them in any quantity (1-N). Allow the seller to specify this for the listing, and then automatically keep track and update the listing as buyers buy some of the fish. For instance, if the person has 10 fish, and someone buys 4, now the listing should say there are 6. And so on, until they're all gone.
5. Related to #4, allow the seller to specify flexible pricing based on quantity purchased. For instance, < 5, $5 each, >=5, $4 each, etc....

My suspicion is that it will take a fair number of little detail-oriented things like the above to actually get people to switch (as opposed to better performance or UI).

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Not to be discouraging, but it tends to be hard to overthrow an established site. Chat doesn't strike me as a useful feature for a sales site, and awards and badges only have meaning (to me at least) if they somehow relate to the reliability of buyers and sellers. Prettier (and more modern) interface would be great, but isn't going to be enough to get people to switch.

I have two AquaBid usage patterns:

1. I want something. I go there, look for whatever it is (it's usually quite specific) and buy if it's there for a reasonable price. While the AquaBid UI is fairly awful it gets the job done.
2. I want to learn about different options available in a category. I browse the categories and open items when I don't know what they are or want to know more about them.

A couple ideas for things that could be useful:

1. A better search feature with more advanced search options, ability to search specific fields, ability to do some boolean queries.
2. More fields in the description of the items. (e.g. A specific field for the species name, and separate fields for the common names.) This ties in with #1.
3. In the listing of items in a category or search results show thumbnail photos, and if one hovers over a photo, show additional detail - it's nice to not have to click away from the list unless the item really is interesting.
4. Better features for quantity selling. E.g. A seller has N fish of a particular type available, and is willing to sell them in any quantity (1-N). Allow the seller to specify this for the listing, and then automatically keep track and update the listing as buyers buy some of the fish. For instance, if the person has 10 fish, and someone buys 4, now the listing should say there are 6. And so on, until they're all gone.
5. Related to #4, allow the seller to specify flexible pricing based on quantity purchased. For instance, < 5, $5 each, >=5, $4 each, etc....

My suspicion is that it will take a fair number of little detail-oriented things like the above to actually get people to switch (as opposed to better performance or UI).
This.

Forget what i said because these will make aquabid better.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

leshrimp

AC Members
Jul 6, 2013
I guess it would be really hard to come out on top over aquabid. Maybe a forum board that is oriented with sales that way there is more interaction between buyer/seller and a stronger community. More appealing design ect...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store