Question regarding aquarium soil...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fat Homer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
-852-
So i just wanted to ask the pros here, how often (if ever) do you replace your aquarium soil?

As in literally ripping up the whole tank and re-doing the whole thing?

I ask because my first planted tank is now about 2 to maybe 2.5 years old an never had any major revamps so to speak... But from what i've heard over here is that its common practice to replace all your soil every 2 years...

So basically just wondering, is it maybe time for me to do a major cleanup?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Good question as I would like to know also. Would the answer be different for soil versus other substrate like pool filter sand? Is it based on nutrition being depleted in the soil or something else? I have PFS and didn't think I would ever have to replace the whole thing as long I like the look of it. I have pulled some of it out to bleach it to get rid of algae/BGA. Every 2 or 3 years would be such a hassle!!!

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I'd say the answer to the question is relative to the type of soil you have. Some brands like ADA Aquasoil have a finite life. The ammonia enrichment exhausts over time but it continues to transport nutrients well after that. Some soils like Fluorite (basically crushed-up flower pots) will last for many years if not indefinitely. SMS compacts and turns to mud after a couple years. PFS (pool filter sand) lasts as long as you want to keep it.

How long to keep a substrate also depends on the type of plants you grow. Column feeders are much less demanding of nutrient transport via substrate. Root feeders obviously need nutrients delivered to the roots. Root tabs and other types of block ferts can always be added beneath the substrate to extent the duration of a given substrate's life.

Some folks keep a tank planted for a year or two before they reset it. Most of the time that's a personal preference and not an absolute necessity. Most of the folks I know who are into heavy aquascaping and aquatic gardening seldom let a planted setup go for more than a year before they're on to a new look or different plant scheme.

Mark

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
I use top soil in my tanks and don't change it. Just add fertz like you do in your garden.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I have never changed the gravel in my tank (almost 25 years) since my move. When I first started, I added laterite then just put ordinary gravel over it. I do add root food, but have never changed the gravel.

Fat Homer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
-852-
Thanks for the feedback, i guess since im using ADA soil and i've been thinking of re-doing the tank, i may just one day in the near future do a full over-haul then....

Although probably give it a few more months when the weathers more stable and warmer

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store