Want to start cichild tank, need help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
Hey everyone, as my title says I want to start a cichlid tank. Currently I already own a Jewel cichlid that I saved from someone who was taking poor care of. The jewel is not housed currently in the proper size tank, but he is better then he ever was. I have a spare tank that I thought I could use for the jewel plus any other fish. The tank is a 40g, NOT a breeder just standard 40g. I already have a canister filter and heater.

My question is:

1. Is this tank suitable for a jewel?
2. What other fish can go with the jewel? I would like color since my jewel is always showing its beautiful colors. Also he is housed with other small fish and has not been aggressive at all.
3. What is a proper set up for cichlid? Meaning substrate, plants, caves, etc?

That's all the questions I have currently.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Hey everyone, as my title says I want to start a cichlid tank. Currently I already own a Jewel cichlid that I saved from someone who was taking poor care of. The jewel is not housed currently in the proper size tank, but he is better then he ever was. I have a spare tank that I thought I could use for the jewel plus any other fish. The tank is a 40g, NOT a breeder just standard 40g. I already have a canister filter and heater.

My question is:

1. Is this tank suitable for a jewel?
2. What other fish can go with the jewel? I would like color since my jewel is always showing its beautiful colors. Also he is housed with other small fish and has not been aggressive at all.
3. What is a proper set up for cichlid? Meaning substrate, plants, caves, etc?

That's all the questions I have currently.
1. In my opinion, yes.
2. With a jewel, it's a crap shoot. I've kept them numerous times over the last 40-odd years and have only twice found some that were not homicidal maniacs. In both cases the only aggression shown to tankmates was during spawning. Every other time they murdered everything in the tank including each other. I would, in a 40, just have some schooling fish with a single jewel or well-behaved jewel pair.
3. For jewel(s) I'd go with a sand substrate, some driftwood and rockwork that gives line-of-sight blockage to the female so she can get away from the male if she needs to. Hardy plants like anubias and java fern will also help provide cover.
If you're asking about requirements for cichlids in general, that's like asking how high is up. Cichlids occupy just about every tropical and neotropical biotope, some even extending into warmer temperate regions. Many have specific needs, others can occupy a wide variety of tank set-ups.

Mark

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
Thanks Mark for the reply. So do you think not to add any other kind of cichlids? The fish he is with now, are a rosey red, and also guppies, which like I said before he doesn't bother. The rosey actually hangs out with him in his little cave.

The canister I have for tank I believe is a eheim 2026, would this be fine? I also have lighting which I will post later tonight on what kind to see if that will be good as well.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
You can always try to add another cichlid but I wouldn't advise it. If the filter is keeping the water clean and handling the bioload, then it's adequate.

Mark

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
Ok so your thinking just the Jewel as the only cichlid and then other fish that aren't a cichlid. Any recommendations?

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Ok so your thinking just the Jewel as the only cichlid and then other fish that aren't a cichlid. Any recommendations?
I dont have any recommendations but maybe if you look into the area jewels are found you will find some fish that live with it and will enjoy the same parameters.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I'd go with at least one if not two more jewels. Stock enough for a mexican stand-off. If you must try other fish get a comet or two that are larger and observe you will see what is likely to become of all others.

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
Cichlids in general need space, even adding another jewel could be trouble. I'd still give it a try, even a similar sized South/ Central American cichlid like a Convict, Firemouth, Blue Acara, or Rainbow cichlid. As long as you don't see any major fin damage in the introduction whatever you choose should be fine. Cichlid behavior is fun to watch as long as they're not killing each other.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

CornBreadjiffy

AC Members
Sep 8, 2009
Memphis, TN
With ur jewel, u can do alot but make sure to add 2 or less at a time to build up ur bioload. As for tankmates hav fun n select wat u like. Most jewels r very laid back and accommodate other mates. So jist feel out wat u like n go for it. But get juvies to grow them out. Ur tank has a better chance

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
What would the max amount of fish for my size tank? Just so while I'm looking at fish and about to buy I don't overstock.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store