Solutions to the slow growth of java fern

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dereks

AC Members
Mar 7, 2006
I'm trying to create a java fern wall. I bought a sheet of mesh and stuck it to the back wall of my aquarium. With a ban saw, I cut a piece a driftwood into thin strips (1/2" x 1/2"). I zip tied the java fern to the pieces and zip tied the pieces to the mesh.

I've got co2, trace elements, and 2 watts per gallon of 6700k lighting.

My question:

Do you think the java fern will still grow on the thin strips? Or did I mess that up by creating smooth edges on the wood?

Is there anything else I can be doing to get this stuff to grow?

I love java fern but hate the wait!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Java fern is a slow grower, no matter what you do. My Java fern grew really big, high lights, CO2 and all. I had 4watts per gal with CO2. It grew big, but still grew slow.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
I had java fern in a NON Co2 low light tank and it grew into a awesome huge bunch. but like tanker said it wasn't over night by any means.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Dereks, the bunch in my 10g has taken a year to look like this:

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
As others have noted, Java Fern is very slow growing. And at this point, a caution. If you only have JF and no other plants, I would not use CO2, high light and increased nutrient fertilization. Being a slow-growing plant, it thus does best with low to moderate light, no added CO2, and minimal nutrient fertilization. If these requirements are increased, the plant cannot make use of them and algae will. Brush algae on JF is very common, and due to excess light/nutrients. If you have other faster-growing plants in the same tank, having some floating plants to shade the JF usually works to avoid the brush algae.

Byron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store