New Apisto, can you guess it's sex?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
To me it looks like a young female. It doesnt have the bright male colors. This is just a guess because im just getting into apistos. Great pick up by the way!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
If the fish yellow or is that just a trick of the light?

If the photo shows accurate color Im 100% positive its a female. Males never have that yellow cast. Their bodies are always greyish, even if they are stressed out they fade to a lighter grey. Females get a bright yellow cast when they are ready to spawn.

seaecho

AC Members
Oct 9, 2013
Yes, the fish is yellow, and darker than the photo shows (flash). She's about the color of a lemon drop, or a touch lighter. So I guess I have a female? And no stripes at all! I've never seen an Apisto with no stripes! I'm wondering if she's even a Cockatoo!

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
Seaecho might have a point, Turbosaurus knows her Apistos well, is this a Cockatoo?

dalto

AC Members
Jun 12, 2006
How big is that fish right now?

I doesn't really look like a typical female Apistogramma from those shots, unless it is quite small still. That being said, some of the highly line bred species like cacatuoides can have different characteristics.

Last edited:

dalto

AC Members
Jun 12, 2006
For reference, here is one of mine that was collected in Peru.

EDIT: There is a white strain of A. cacatuoides so your fish could be that.

Apistogramma cacatuoides-1.jpg

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store