My last 2 Corydoras Habrosus had to be euthanatize :'(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
Hi, Very sad my last 2 Corydoras Habrosus out of 8 had to be euthanatize :cry:

They were acting very erratically for two days straight. They wouldn't be able to stay horizontal for long periods of time. And last night they were spinning around upside down all over the tank. Then lay upside down on the bottom of the tank. It was to sad seeing them suffered so I placed them in the freezer for a couple.
What could have been the cause of this? I don't feed a lot. I feed once a day.

My water readings are:
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrates 10ppm
pH 7.0

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Hi, Very sad my last 2 Corydoras Habrosus out of 8 had to be euthanatize :cry:

They were acting very erratically for two days straight. They wouldn't be able to stay horizontal for long periods of time. And last night they were spinning around upside down all over the tank. Then lay upside down on the bottom of the tank. It was to sad seeing them suffered so I placed them in the freezer for a couple.
What could have been the cause of this? I don't feed a lot. I feed once a day.

My water readings are:
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrates 10ppm
pH 7.0
Is this the same tank that had the leeches? If it is, then maybe the leeches carried a pathogen or diesease with them. Sometimes illnesses only become appearent when its too late.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
So sad :(

Are all the other fishes OK?? How did you acclimate??

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
Is this the same tank that had the leeches? If it is, then maybe the leeches carried a pathogen or diesease with them. Sometimes illnesses only become appearent when its too late.

Yeah this the same tank. Everything died except 5 cardinal tetras and 1 red spot nerite. :'(
Actually, I have been trying to change my signature. How do I do that?

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I have no idea how to change a signature. I have few things i need to change too.

Was/is the any other signs of illness? Like fish acting wierd? Rubbing?

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
I have no idea how to change a signature. I have few things i need to change too.

Was/is the any other signs of illness? Like fish acting wierd? Rubbing?

They were unable stay horizontal too long for a few days. So I thought it was they were bloated, so I stop feeding for I few days. Also I fed them some deshelled peas.
There was no rubbing.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
This sounds like it might have been differing water parameters/conditions. I have kept many wild-caught cory species over the past 20 years, and I still have issues with this species C. habrosus and the other "dwarf," C. pygmaeus. Catfish experts have suggested sand substrate being essential for these two especially, along with cooler water (75F). Both did seem to help a bit.

Generally speaking, corys do not last with any nitrogen issues, meaning high ammonia, nitrite or nitrate. Ammonia in the bag water can be deadly even between store and home. When stressed, corys exude a highly toxic substance from the base of the pectoral spine which can kill themselves within seconds, but it can also cause long-term issues if they survive. Acclimation is very important, to gradually acclimate them to your tank water. And, they can be internally injured during netting in the store. All these things can cause what you described.

Byron.

P.S. On editing your signature. Go to your Profile page, and on the left there are various options, one being signature.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Go to "settings' and then "update Signature".

Even a non-technical person like me can do this. :dance:

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
Go to "settings' and then "update Signature".

Even a non-technical person like me can do this. :dance:
Thank you I got it now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store