Agressive Danio?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
I've had 3 Danios in my aquarium for a month. Two females and one male. They love to chase each other around, but mostly the male chasing the females. I then added 5 Glowlight tetra and for a while the chasing stopped and the Danios would even school with the tetras once in a while. The Danios have never chased the tetras so far, but this past week, the male Danio has taken to bowling through the tetras when they are schooling. So, he doesn't chase them, but waits til they are in a group then scatters them. He has also become more aggressive with the females and swimming circles around them. Kind of like he is herding them. He is also being very teritorial with a specific area around the driftwood. Aren't Danios supposed to be a bit more mellow? I feel like he is stressing all the other fish out. Will adding another 2 of them to make a bigger school, calm him down? I really don't want any more of them though.

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
Danio rerio (zebra fish) like to be in schools. In the wild these schools are very large. In a school a fish feels bigger, safer and usually does not feel the need to act with aggression. In an aquarium you should keep min 6 schooling fish so that they can stick together and establish heriarchy between the species; preventing lash outs at other fish in your tank. There should be more females than males as well so that a female does not become over burdaned with male attention. D. rerio are very hard to sex, however, i have never i had working knowledge of other speceis in the genus Danio.

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
Thank you. So I guess 3 isn't a big enough school even though there are 2 females to 1 male.
Maybe they are trying to sex. Both the females are very fat. I see you have just 4 Danios in your 20 gall. Is one more female going to change the way the male is acting?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Thank you. So I guess 3 isn't a big enough school even though there are 2 females to 1 male.
Maybe they are trying to sex. Both the females are very fat. I see you have just 4 Danios in your 20 gall. Is one more female going to change the way the male is acting?
I do not think it is a mating thing. He is just trying to school with the slower fishes. I would try and add 4-6 more and let the Danios school together.

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
Will different types of Danio school together? Like if I put in 6 Blue Neon tetras in with my 5 glowlight tetra would they all school together as a big family or would I have two groups of tetras schooling? Does it matter that my male is a gold zebra danio and the two females are sivler zebra danio?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
From my experience (other fishes)==No.

But Zebras, are zebras. Same fish, just different color.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
My personal experience with ZD's is, adding more, just means more crazy-azz ZDs zipping around. I've had 4 in my community 55g since I set it up. All 4 rarely stick together. They've never bothered any of their tank mates, but all mates are much larger.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
As others have correctly said, danio (as all cyprinids and characins too) are shoaling fish by nature, and the larger the number the better. Six is often recommended as minimum, but I agree with whomever here said eight would be better. Danio are active fish, hence they swim more than say rasbora. So group size has to take into account tank size as well.

But, if you don't like them, I would try to re-home the three rather than adding more. Bear in mind, that adding say another 5 or 6 may not (= almost certainly will not) rectify the bully problem. This is something that occurs from the stress of not having a large enough group, and unfortunately the damage is permanent. A scientific study a year or so back, the first of its kind, looked at aggression in shoaling fish and discovered that with fewer than five (for the few species tested) aggression increased significantly. And this involves the species; mixed species is not the same thing.

Whatever you do, do something. A "bully" is going to cause stress to the other fish, and as this continues it worsens. This weakens a fish's immune system, making them susceptible to disease they would otherwise be able to fight off. It may also increase their aggression, so it just worsens.

Byron.

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
My personal experience with ZD's is, adding more, just means more crazy-azz ZDs zipping around. I've had 4 in my community 55g since I set it up. All 4 rarely stick together. They've never bothered any of their tank mates, but all mates are much larger.
Dang, that is so true! I add a few more last night and they don't stick together. They just zip around wherever. :(

Also Byron, you are so correct. Even after adding a few more Danios, the bully, is still bullying and now everyone is bullying everyone. I'm going to take all of the Danios back to the LFS along with a sample of my water to make sure they aren't taking any sick ones. That being said... is that irresponsible of me to do that? It's stressing me out watching them! I will still have my glowlight tetras, cory cats and little oto.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store