Will a bigger filter affect anything?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bunnybear

AC Members
Feb 17, 2014
I have a 13 gallon tank from Aqueon, and was thinking about getting the larger filter for it. Right now I have the quiet flow 10 that it came with but am thinking of getting the 20 because the filer cartridges seem to be lasting 3 weeks instead of 4 or 5. Every time I test the water it's fine and the fish aren't acting odd at all and I do a water change every week. I have 5 neons, a betta, amano shrimp and now a snail. My concern is will the bigger filter have a bigger current and will the neons be hurt or have trouble with it?

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
If your quality readings are satisfactory and the water is clear you are doing a fine job. If you want to try the larger filter and are not sure about current you could get one from one of the big chain pet stores and try it out (without filter) just to check the water flow. Keep it if you like it, return it if you don't.

The fish you have should be fine with reasonable flow. You'll know when you try it out. If they have to swim fast to stay in one place it is too much. If there are no calm places for your shrimp or beta to sit and relax it is too much. The big one could save you time and money over the long run with less filter replacements. Good luck!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Why are you changing the cartridges that frequently?

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
If you're going to upgrade your hob filter I'm gonna suggest you get a AquaClear. I've had the Aqueon Quiet Flows before and now I exclusively use AquaClear. Much quieter, better flow, more aeration, and you NEVER have to replace the media.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
the filer cartridges seem to be lasting 3 weeks instead of 4 or 5.
How do you know that the filter needs changing?? Why are you changing filters so often?? In such a small tank (and not too big a Bio load) that filter should last much longer. You can clean ther filter pad in "Old aquarium water during WC (just swish it around in the old water before dumping it). If the filter is "REALLY" not lasting, you can try more or larger WC. In such a small tank this should be very easy.

bunnybear

AC Members
Feb 17, 2014
The water in the filter system is bypassing the cartridge, that is why im changing it. I swish it around in the water when I do WC and it helps for the week but after 3-4 it doesn't help so I change it because obviously it doesnt do anything.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
you can change to a larger filter rated for 20 if you do you may want to try an AC filter. the prob you have is the media type that fit the quiet flow.

the filter should be ok on a 20 and you can adjust the flow on the AC

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
The water in the filter system is bypassing the cartridge, that is why im changing it. I swish it around in the water when I do WC and it helps for the week but after 3-4 it doesn't help so I change it because obviously it doesnt do anything.
OK, sounds like you doing it right. How often are you doing WC?? How much water is changed??

A higher rated filter just means more flow, not less cartridge change.

bunnybear

AC Members
Feb 17, 2014
When I save up enough im going to think about an aquaclear filter. Im doing WC once a week give or take a day or two, and about 1/3 maybe more each change.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
That's what was happening with the Aqueon Quiet Flow 50 I had on my 55. This sucker flowed SO much water that the cartridge would be bypassing after a week of use. I'd clean it and it would last days before it was bypassing again. I eventually gave up on it and replaced it with an AquaClear 70. The AC70 will easily go 3 weeks before sponge cleanings.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store