Outdoor totes breeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
So i wanna try some breeding in outdoor totes. I was thinking of trying convicts but i dont tink thats such a great idea. Anyone have any suggestions?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I've been wanting to try this for a while... Can I breed tetras vicariously through you?

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/five-easy-tetras.htm
I just read that and it seems like a cool idea. Ill need to ask a few LFS which fish they would like/take in.

This isnt for profit just a project to try out and help give some other fishkeepers a fish they might want.

Any other suggestions?

qwe123

AC Members
Jul 30, 2008
Western Mass
Tetras seem fun! Could also try any of the many different livebearers... Heterandria formosa, endlers, guppies, goodeids, etc.

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
I used to do swordtails in kiddie pools in the summer, many years ago, They get big and beautiful with all the sunshine and live foods. Just make sure you only put in one color variety per pool or you'll just end up with a mish mash of varying colors by the end of the summer

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Tetras seem fun! Could also try any of the many different livebearers... Heterandria formosa, endlers, guppies, goodeids, etc.
I have heard of goodieds but never looked much up on them. Many are endangered or extinct in certain areas in the wild. Ill have to take a better look.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
a local proponent from keeping fish outdoors in tubs, totes and empty beer glasses (I made the last oneup...) is Dr. Ted Coletti.

The same/similar article has been published in TFH bunches of times, but it's also available Here

There are a few examples of fish listed. Personally I would look through the CARES list of fish to work on keeping the numbers up of available fish that are endangered or extinct in the wild (Like the goodieds that were mentioned, or maybe Vietnamese white clouds or something) Galaxy rasboras are pretty easy to breed too, it would just be easiest to have 2 tubs, and a floating plant where eggs can be scattered among the roots, then just move the plant from one tub to the other and give it a shake or leave it over.

at the end of the day, if you're not looking for a profit, try fish that interest you, or if you can find likeminded people locally, maybe keep fish that they aren't, and swap fry/juvies in the fall.

I'm probably going to try for croaking gourami and some other less-common anabantoid in the summer. Possibly some non-annual killifish too. Breeding fish in the outside is relatively easy and not much effort.. So go with the coolest fish you can find.. try to stay away from jumpers though.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I raised pearl gouramis in kiddie pools. Very easy and they get vivid colors when exposed to sunlight and lots of live foods.

Mark

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
a local proponent from keeping fish outdoors in tubs, totes and empty beer glasses (I made the last oneup...) is Dr. Ted Coletti.

The same/similar article has been published in TFH bunches of times, but it's also available Here

There are a few examples of fish listed. Personally I would look through the CARES list of fish to work on keeping the numbers up of available fish that are endangered or extinct in the wild (Like the goodieds that were mentioned, or maybe Vietnamese white clouds or something) Galaxy rasboras are pretty easy to breed too, it would just be easiest to have 2 tubs, and a floating plant where eggs can be scattered among the roots, then just move the plant from one tub to the other and give it a shake or leave it over.

at the end of the day, if you're not looking for a profit, try fish that interest you, or if you can find likeminded people locally, maybe keep fish that they aren't, and swap fry/juvies in the fall.

I'm probably going to try for croaking gourami and some other less-common anabantoid in the summer. Possibly some non-annual killifish too. Breeding fish in the outside is relatively easy and not much effort.. So go with the coolest fish you can find.. try to stay away from jumpers though.
I LOVE white cloud mountain minnows. Im deffinately going to try those. If i can find goodieds around i might try them as well. I think ill try a cryptoheros species as well.

That link was very helpful thanks :)

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
You will be most likely to find goodieds at a local aquarium society. Even more so if its one that participates in the C.A.R.E.S program.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store