Filter Flow Control

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Ok, I bought some used HOB filters from a member here because

A. They were a great deal.
and
B. I'm working on an equipment hoard to rival Dougall.

In all seriousness, I bought slightly larger capacity filters (Okay double capacity) than I need currently because I intend on setting up some larger tanks in the reasonably near future. I'd like to go ahead and get them going and seed them with beneficial bacteria in the tubs I already have. I was thinking I might impede their flow a little by attaching a make-shift sponge pre-filter to the intake tube. Would this damage the filter's motor or impeller? I looked at it, and I don't see how it would, but I'm no engineer! I just don't want to make the water too turbulent for the fish that reside in the tubs, but they do need a filter. Thoughts?

P.S. I currently have a crapload of plants and an airstone in there to create oxygen exchange, but this has got to change as it was only intended to be temporary and the plants will be shipped out soon as they are promised to other members here.

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
I don't think adding a sponge as a prefilter will cause any harm to the Impeller/motor. I've done this in the past without issue

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Good to know, Deputy! All I see is a magnet wrapped around the base of the impeller, and I'm assuming some magnetized coils are inside that push against it with the same polarity to make it spin. It doesn't seem like anything could go wrong to me. Unless it's physically impeded from turning, I wouldn't think the flow slow-down would just slow the RPMs down a little because there would be a little bit of drag. I'm going to try it and see what happens. Thanks for confirming my thoughts, Roy!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Shouldn't be a problem at all Dave.

The way these mag drive impeller pumps are designed, you could stall the thing all day long and it wouldn't overheat.

What filters did you get?

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
I got a pair of AquaTech 30-60's from JimmyAqua. I know they aren't high dollar filters, but I happen to have one already that's going just fine, so I knew it was a good buy at $12 each! I have all densely planted tanks, so I don't require perfection, just some movement and a little filtration. It's a little noisy, but I'm sure I can fix that. I fitted it with a sponge and cranked it up! :)

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Cool! A lot of the fun is making them work for your setup, modding them, etc.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Shoot yeah! I can't lose at such a cheap price either. They are about $40 new at Wally World, so at $0.30 on the dollar there wasn't a reason to pass them up when I needed filters regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
If you are feeling DIY-ey you could always build PVC spraybars for them that circulate all the water but don't add much turbulence. They are also transferable to any new tank you have in the works. . .You can reduce a ton of pressure if you go to a larger diameter as well. Go to 1" if your outlets are 0.5" and it will be a nice, gentle trickle, a waterfall, if you will, of tranquility. Perhaps the gentle water noise will drown out the motor noise and you can pretend your outdoor tubs are really a zen garden.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
B. I'm working on an equipment hoard to rival Dougall.
Good luck with that ;)

and personally speaking, I'd be more inclined to diffuse the output rather than restrict the intake. you'll have more GPHs flowing through the filter and you would only have 1, not 2 filter medias to clean.

putting decor (driftwood, rocks, fake neon castles) in front of the outflow will also stop turbulence in the majority of the tank.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
If you are feeling DIY-ey you could always build PVC spraybars for them that circulate all the water but don't add much turbulence. They are also transferable to any new tank you have in the works. . .You can reduce a ton of pressure if you go to a larger diameter as well. Go to 1" if your outlets are 0.5" and it will be a nice, gentle trickle, a waterfall, if you will, of tranquility. Perhaps the gentle water noise will drown out the motor noise and you can pretend your outdoor tubs are really a zen garden.
Oh if these were only outdoors... they are in my office which is getting to be filled with more fish tanks than office furniture, haha! The spraybar idea isn't a bad one though... I'll think that one through and see what I can come up with. I may diffuse it with a moss curtain... I have a ton of java moss around already.

... I'd be more inclined to diffuse the output rather than restrict the intake. you'll have more GPHs flowing through the filter and you would only have 1, not 2 filter medias to clean.

putting decor (driftwood, rocks, fake neon castles) in front of the outflow will also stop turbulence in the majority of the tank.
Doug, I think you and Pinkey are on the same page. Only one thing troubles me... Are you denying the fact that fish live in neon castles in the wild?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store