ID These?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I *think* that they're Silver Dollars, but I'm honestly not 100% sure.
DSCF1126[1].JPGDSCF1125[1].JPG

If the pictures don't help here is my description:

Large eyes, body roughly a quarter and a half in diameter, fins that are small and pointed. Bottom fins have a slight orange tinge. The fish are rather thin and somewhat boney (can see their spine and organs in the ripples of scales). They are solid silver in color and don't seem to be able to close their mouths all the way. They *seem* to have pointed teeth along the inner lip, but I can't tell exactly.

They were fish some friends of my mother needed to get rid of and, thinking them Silver Dollars, I accepted (along with 4 black skirt tetra and a common pleco[tiny pleco right now]). I'm no longer 100% sure now they they're in my tank.

DSCF1126[1].JPG DSCF1125[1].JPG

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Looks like SD to me.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Agreed on previous identification. You might consider other accomodations for them, they view a planted tank as a salad, and it will be eaten.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Agreed on previous identification. You might consider other accomodations for them, they view a planted tank as a salad, and it will be eaten.
Yeah, I knew they were herbivores when I accepted them from my moms friend, but they haven't actually shown any interest in the plants at all - the tank they used to be in had literally just barebones decor (a fake stone ruin and like 2 fake plants in a tall hex) so I'm not even sure they know what plants are yet. If they start chowing down on the plants I'll shift them into my 40g or maybe rehome them to a fish store.

Last edited:

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Thanks for confirming the ID everyone! These poor fish were in fairly bad condition when I picked them up (having only ever been fed flake -food) but I hope to get them eating their veggies soon enough - they inhale flakes and algae wafers like no one's business.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
These photos may help you pin down the species; sorry, but I cannot see these fish clearly to suggest which species. There are several distinct species within the genus Metynnis that are commonly called "Silver Dollar" fish. They all share a similar shape and silvery colour, and similar behaviours, habits and requirements; the long adipose fin distinguishes these species from all other Serrasalmidae. Along with the most common species, M. hypsauchen (second photo below), the other most frequently encountered is M. argenteus (first photo). It reaches a length of 5 inches, and lacks the dark shoulder patch of M. hypsauchen. There is also a striped species and a spotted species.

Metynnis hypsauchen.jpg Metynnis argenteus.jpg Metynnis maculatus.jpg

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Looks to be the first picture, Byron. Thanks again everyone :D

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Im not certain which species of silver dollar they are but some silver dollars fetch a high price.

Maybe you should do some investigating and find what species you have and which ones fetch a high price. You could have potentially just found one heck of pocket fattener.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store