Journal Of My 10g

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
The Journal of my 10g: 4/18/12 Onward

The Beginning

Having had aquaria at other times in my life, My 10 gallon tank began in 2012, coming up on two years now. A friend gave me a 10 gallon, and of all the pieces I bought at Petco, the one I remember most is the gravel, marked "Natural Gravel." It had pieces the size of kidney beans, and I just poured it right into the tank. Way too big.

When I was cycling it, the cycle stopped in the middle, and this guy on a board told me I could put in a lot of fast-grower stem plants and it would work fine. This method has been known as the "Silent Cycle." I bought plants at this great lfs in Quincy, MA called "Lovely Pets", and also bought six Pristella Tetras. I later bought another one to make it seven. Much later, I bought a blue female Betta and some Betta food - little round pellets. A couple of weeks later one of the Pristellas died, I think because of an intestinal blockage from a Betta pellet, but the rest of the Pristellas and the Betta are fine.

I have just completed a substrate swap from the gravel to Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting Mix with a black sand cap. I promise to put a picture here in the journal ASAP. I can also add a picture from when I started the tank for reference. The pH went from 7.6 to 6.6, and nitrates are 0. I planted the last few plants and did a water change today. I've been thinking about doing this for weeks.

So, now for the good stuff:

Hardware:
10 gallon glass tank
No cover
2 10W CFL bulbs, 8-hour photoperiod
2 aluminum dome reflectors
Fluval U2 filter
Antique heater

Flora:
Not sure of the new stuff I bought except 2 Java Fern
3 unidentified Swords
2 unidentified Crypts
1 Water Sprite
Java Moss

Fauna:
6 Pristella Tetra
1 Betta Splendens (f)
Several Malaysian Trumpet Snail
About 6 small Ramshorn Snail
Millions of bacteria

This is the end of the first installment. Plase watch for the next one.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sounds nice!

Just keep an eye on your water params. The majority of your beneficial bacteria went out with the old substrate. I would have kept a sock/pantyhose of it in with the new setup for awhile. Hopefully what's in your filter will maintain the cycle.

Depending on what sword plant you got, they can massively outgrow a 10g. I recently made that mistake and pulled an amazon sword out of my 10 and put it in my 55g.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I would love to see pics of this setup.

I agree with freshy. If its an amazon sword it can and most likely will outgrow your tank. I have a massive one in my brothers tank.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Depending on what sword plant you got, they can massively outgrow a 10g.
This is one of those now you tell me... I had a Queen Marble amazon sword beautiful plant until it was 24" tall by 32" wide in a 120g tank with a root ball (at least what came out of the substrate) the size of youth size soccer ball guy I sold it to took it in trash bag...LOL

Steve 1
I'd love to see pictures as well sounds awesome love the tetra's. Instead of swords you may want to look into nana petite and/or other species of Crypts as well that may do well in a smaller tank. They'll love the soil bottom once you overcome the crypt melt.

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
Here are the before and after shots that you've been waiting for...

Before - 2012 - gravel:

IMG_0304.JPGIMG_0454.JPG After

I know it isn't very pretty at the moment, but I'll post another one in a month. There's already some trimming to do. The water is also still a little murky.

IMG_0304.JPG IMG_0454.JPG

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
The "before" picture is a little bare. I was still in cycle (fish food). I thought I'd post a shot from a little further along:

IMG_0321.JPG

IMG_0321.JPG

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
This is one of those now you tell me... I had a Queen Marble amazon sword beautiful plant until it was 24" tall by 32" wide in a 120g tank with a root ball (at least what came out of the substrate) the size of youth size soccer ball guy I sold it to took it in trash bag...LOL

Steve 1
I'd love to see pictures as well sounds awesome love the tetra's. Instead of swords you may want to look into nana petite and/or other species of Crypts as well that may do well in a smaller tank. They'll love the soil bottom once you overcome the crypt melt.
Jay - did you see the last pic with the Sword? The two others are outgrowths of the first one that you see. Maybe a Ruffled Sword or somthing. They may be a litttle stunted. I've seen them put up 2-3 new leaves in a week.

Some news - I lowered my CFLs about 2" to get more light, and I may just put them back up and put in 13W CFLs. Seems like a lot now that it's written down.

The pics aren't beautiful like some tanks, but this is an ongoing experiment and learning experience. I expect there will be some improvements between now and a month from now.

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
Jay, I used Root Tabs but I must have started after the pic was taken. It had a lot of roots, but the size of the gravel probably didn't help.

I have MGOCPM covered with an inch of sand now and I had trouble planting the Sword. Do you think I should cut off all but an inch of roots so I can plant it better?

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
If the roots are white healthy roots what I normally is wrap them up almost into ball and use it to my advantage to anchor down the plant. I've heard cutting the roots may affect the plants negatively but I don't know if that's gospel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store