Camallanus worms!!! Help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
I have a planted 55 where I have some plecos, giant danios and apisto cacutoides. I use a python to drain and fill all of my tanks. I don't know what fish brought it in, but I know for a fact I have the worms in the 55 and my 75 gallon now... I disinfect the python between tank changes, but I dont know what more I can do... I bought some 99% levisamole powder and treated the 55 and I lost 2 of my fish... They couldn't swim right and so I changed my water out. I'm really worried that my 210 gallon tank with my frontosa might be infected, but I haven't seen any signs. I have lost 2 calvus in my 75 within the last 2 days. It might seem a little scatter brained, but it would cost a crazy amount to treat my 210 alone ... Anyone have any suggestions? I have heard that these parasites can be hard to get rid of, and I don't want to have to destroy my fish and break everything down T.T

Sent from my HTCONE using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
how did you treat? 5 grams should treat 100 gallons..and it needs to be repeated.

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
I treated according to the packaging it came with. But it says to do a 50% WC, feed the fish, then dose the tank, turn off the lights and then after 24 hours do a 75% WC and put carbon back in

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
Well I treated again this weekend, and had another danio and my only SAE die... bummer... how long should I keep my eye on the tank to make sure it's cured? I'm going to put more/new fish in, but idk how to tell when it's safe...

Also, I found out the calvus that died in my 75 gallon was a result of an ammonia spike. I tested the water and there was a reading of about 2.0 Ammonia. Which is totally out of the blue since the tank has been up for over a year. about 2 weeks ago I took out the sponge filters and cleaned them in old tank water... Either way I double dosed with prime after doing a 75% WC on the 75.

And the question still remains on if I should treat my 200 just to be safe...

Last edited:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
look at:

www.inkmkr.com/fish

2 effect treatments are levamisole hcl and flubendazole

my understanding of the 2 medlevamisole can be used as a bath and will paralyze the parasite the eggs it lays tho are not affected by the medication which why you need a second or third treatment.
flubendazole is more effective but must be ingested by the fish to affect the parasite.. it kills the parasite as well as the eggs.
prophylactic treatment when you are aware it exist is prudent.

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
look at:

www.inkmkr.com/fish

2 effect treatments are levamisole hcl and flubendazole

my understanding of the 2 medlevamisole can be used as a bath and will paralyze the parasite the eggs it lays tho are not affected by the medication which why you need a second or third treatment.
flubendazole is more effective but must be ingested by the fish to affect the parasite.. it kills the parasite as well as the eggs.
prophylactic treatment when you are aware it exist is prudent.
I actually talked to inkmaker on one of my other forums nd he informed me that the amount of medication that I dosed was about 50% of an overdose. He said to wait and see if the overdosing killed it and if not, I will contact him then

Sent from my HTCONE using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store