Dwarf gourami disease questions.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Seahorse8383

AC Members
Feb 18, 2014
Ok so I purchased 3 orange and blue dwarf gouramis. I had to drive 2 hours to get home before I could acclimate them. Less then a week later I noticed that one of them had a red area around their mouth that begin to look like some flesh was missing. The second one had swollen open mouth. The third one was also hanging on for dear life. I ended up putting all three of them down. What could have killed my gouramis?

Sent from my SCH-R760 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Many of the dwarf gouramis have issues. Most commonly dwarf gourami diesease. Your best bet is to by quality dwarf gouramis from a breeder.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I agree. Never acquire dwarf gourami from chain stores but from a reputable breeder. This disease (and from your description it is likely the iridovirus, which has no cure) is known to spread to other fish too.

Seahorse8383

AC Members
Feb 18, 2014
Oh no!!! How soon will I know if my other gets it?

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Oh no!!! How soon will I know if my other gets it?

I know nothing specific on this disease other than what I've read. Here is some info from Neale Monks that may help:
http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-health/disease-prevention/fish-viral-disease.aspx

Dr. Monks mentions this being specific to the gourami, and he certainly knows his stuff; I have however read other biologists who are not so certain that this virus won't spread.

Always QT new fish, a lesson I learned the hard way by losing half my fish in one tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store