I always thought java fern was indestructible but here ya go......

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dereks

AC Members
Mar 7, 2006
This java fern was under one 6700k T-8 bulb in a 16 gallon aquarium (not sure the wattage, whatever the 18" T-8 bulb is) with Columbus city water when originally attached to this driftwood. They were thriving until we moved the driftwood and plants to my friends aquarium, 30 gallons with one 18 watt 6700k bulb and an 18 watt 10k bulb, well water with softener. We couldn't have disturbed the roots since we moved the wood that they were attached to. They are dying fast, any ideas?

Is it the well water that's killing them?

I've heard that java fern is tolerant of brackish water, could it be the tiny amount of salt in his water?

jacked.jpg

jacked.jpg

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Moving most plants to a different environment (meaning lighting, water parameters) can often cause issues, though the plants will rebound or may not, depending. Here I see a couple of things, one being the softener. If this is one that "softens" by replacing the mineral salts (calcium, magnesium, etc) with sodium salts (which is common salt), plants may not do well (neither will soft water fish, btw). Second, the light. This is a low light plant, and was obviously thriving under your single tube. Two tubes over a 29g is an increase, though this will usually result in brush algae forming. Floating plants can help eliminate this. I don't know if other nutrients have changed, thinking of fertilizers.

Here I suspect the softener salt more than the light. Salt literally dehydrates plant leaves, which may seem ironic when they are submersed in water. When salt is added to the aquarium water, the water inside the plant cells is less dense so it escapes through the cells. The result is that the plant literally dries out, and will wilt. I think that is what shows up in the photo. Is this also brackish water? Depending upon the total salt between this and the softener, it may be too much.

Byron.

dereks

AC Members
Mar 7, 2006
Thanks!

It is fresh water. There is a tiny amount of salt, 1.004 if I remember correctly. Shouldn't java fern be tolerant of that?

Is there anything else typically found in well water that could cause this? Is softener typically just salt, nothing else?

I've had java fern in a 20 gallon with four 18 watt lights over it and they loved it, so I doubt it's that.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Thanks!

It is fresh water. There is a tiny amount of salt, 1.004 if I remember correctly. Shouldn't java fern be tolerant of that?

Is there anything else typically found in well water that could cause this? Is softener typically just salt, nothing else?

I've had java fern in a 20 gallon with four 18 watt lights over it and they loved it, so I doubt it's that.
I've read that Java Fern manages in brackish water, but I've no evidence it really does. As for the softener, these vary from softener to softener; many use salt as I outlined previously, and this is bad for fish and plants. As for the well water, we would need to know the results of a water test; I've no idea how effective this or that softener might be on various minerals like iron, copper, zinc, etc. Any of these in excess are toxic, they are after all heavy metals.

BTW, nitrates above 20 ppm is not good for fish. This is not the issue with the Java Fern, just mentioning. Well water is often high in nitrate due to agricultural run-off.

Byron.

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
I suggest removing the brown leaves. Pinch them off back to the rhizome, they are dying anyway. That way the plant can expend it's energy on new and healthy leaves. Yes, I know java ferns tend to have a few brown leaves, but it works.

If non-softened water is an option, I would switch to it. Typically outdoor spigots and sometimes indoor utility sinks are unsoftened.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store