Just did water change and filter change. Need Help ASAP plz!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mundazo

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
Need Help ASAP plz!

Hi guys, I need some help.. Im new to posting but i read alot.

I just did a water change , and changed the carbon rocks in the filter, I also added a additional whisper filter.

I have a 40 gallon CYCLED tank.

My Nitrate is at 80ppm and Ammonia is a little below 3.0ppm.

what can i do to lower these ?

Nitrite is at 0.

PH is holding at 7.2

What PH should I keep my tank at exactly for aggresive fish?

I want my fish to be completely comfortable... what else should i test my water for .. besides ph/nitrate/nitrite/ammonia?

Also is yellowish brown algae bad?

My tank holds aggresive fish.

1 Arowana
1 Butterfly Fish
1 African Chiclid
1 Golden Datnoid
1 Clown Knife
1 Red Devil
1 Blue Crawfish
1 Red Devil
1 Black Convict
1 Paradise ( forgot the name right now)
1 Asian Alligator Gar

Last edited:

750t

AC Members
May 24, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
Dude ammonia should always be 0. You have WAY too many fish in that tank. Your nitrate is way too high. Once again Way too many fish. You need a 300 gal tank for that many fish. The tank you have is not even large enough to house the 2 red devils let alone everything else you have in there.

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
Yeah i'd say 90% of your fish are gonna outgrow your tank within a year....

if your showing ammonia ( and you ceritanly ARE!) then your tank is not cycled.... or your so overstocked that ammonia is appearing. i'd believe the latter.

i have to mention that some of those fish like high ph hard water and some like low ph soft water. its going to be hard to please both at the same time...

how long have you had these fish and how big are they? thier gonna start eating each other soon i can imagine.

:shake:

did the water change you just mentioned cause the ammonia spike or has there always been this much ammonia?

travelinman1969

AC Members
Oct 23, 2003
Lost Nation, IA
Visit site
Water changes, water changes, water changes. Do a 30 % change every day until the numbers come down, then get a bigger tank, a much bigger tank. I have a 2 foot arowana in a 150 and plan to move him to a 450-600 next year, so plan ahead. Hope your makin good money cause those fish are gonna need it.

Mundazo

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
will do. going to preform another water change today.

Im also getting rid of the:

black convict
red devil

The water change did the ammonia spike.

should i do water changes with R/O water?

all my fish are fairly small.

The arowana is in the lead at 5 inches along with the clown knife.

all the other fish are 2-3 inches long.

Im going to buy a 200gal very soo. This is a temporary home for them.

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
RO water, unless your tap is unusable, isn't needed, and may cause problems. It won't contain enough buffer to maintain a steady pH, especially with so much acidification happening with the heavy bio-load. Keeping the pH stable is much more important that yo-yoing around a 'desired' value.

If possible, I would split those fish up now. Even in a much larger tank, you're going to see a lot of aggression and compatibility issues. Being confined in a small, crowded tank like this is increasing the odds of a disease outbreak, and damage to thier gills, as well as stunting them when they are young and set to grow.

'Cycled' is not a static state--just because the tank was once cycled, it does not stay in that situation. A healthy, 'cycled' tank has a balance between the waste produced and the bacteria beds breaking it down--changes in feeding, adding fish, normal growth of fish, ect can all kick this out of balance and result in a tank becoming 'uncycled'--ie, ammonia and/or nitrites detectable by a hobbyist kit.

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
I'm not sure how you figure the water change spiked your ammonia. That would make your tap water a good cleaning agent right our of the faucet ;)

Test your tap water for ammonia. Its there's some there you'll probably want to use something like ammo lock on your water changes.

My guess is the tank is just dramatically overstocked right now and you're getting an ammonia spike because the bacteria can't keep up.

The arowana will get huge and the crayfish could be a real trouble maker (as could some of the other fish in there). If you're getting a 200g real soon you can probably make do but you may have to over filter the tank until then.

my $.02

Tom

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
My guess is the ammonia came from changing all the filter media at once in an overstocked tank. You should never have to throw away the sponge that is in the filter until it starts to fall apart. Just rinse it out with each water change in the old tank water.

But for now water changes are the most important thing.

Mundazo

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
Ok, This is tearing me apart.. But im doing it for the sake of my fishes...

How about this..

I turn in my:

Clown Knife
Black Convict
Red Devil
African Butterfly fish

that leaves me with my

Arowana
African Chiclid
Golden Datnoid
Asian Needle Nose
Crawfish
and Paradise ( i dont know the rest of its name :p )

How is that?

Im going to do another water change as soon as I make up my mind . Please help me , I dont want to hurt my fishes.

Last edited:

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
well i guess it really depends on what fish you like the best.... but i would pick one and work around it, since you have different kinds from all over the map.

i agree with getting rid of the clown knife, they are cool fish but can reach over 4 feet long. the butterfly fish is good to return because it will get picked on by the other fish i'm sure. and it likes plants which the other fish will eat.

convicts and red devils i dont really have much experince with... but are agressive and will bug each other and everyone else.

be prepared to get a LARGE LONG tank for that arowana, and make sure it has enough turning space. i'm sure it will end up with back problems if not given enough growning space....

what kind of african cichild do you have? knowing would be good because some can be fairly mild tempered and some will rip everything apart. also they like a ph up above 8.0 and hard water.

crawfish might try to eat your other fish?

i guess it depends what you want to keep.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store