Sooo I'm in desperate need for help.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kitsu

Registered Member
Mar 18, 2014
I have quite a bit of a story here.
I was at walmart yesterday, and the fish were in terrible shape. The koi were infected with rot, 2 were dead and the 3rd was dying. There was a tank with some kind of goldfish, and one was dead at the top, looks like it had been dead for weeks. I think they had fin rot as well. Another tank had a SKELETON of a fish in it. Ugghh.
Then there was one tank with goldfish that had a lone, tiny green spotted puffer. I dont know that much about fish, but I knew that GSP isn't freshwater, nor do they eat flakes, so it probably wasnt gonna live long in there.
So I picked it up. I couldn't just leave it there. I don't have any idea what im doing, but I figured I could care for it better than walmart.
I did a bunch of research, and I think im on the right track. I'm scared though because all I have is a 2 gallon critter keeper. It is not cycled, and I cannot afford the stuff needed to do fish-in cycling (im a poor college student, lol). But, I got a large amount of water from walmart that im assuming is already cycled. Will this make it ok?
As for food. I plan on feeding bloodworms and krill, and perhaps breeding pest snails.
Does everything sound ok here?
I cant fit a filter in the tank im using, I just plan on frequent water changes until I can upgrade the tank.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Didn't see this until now. If the tank is not cycled, you're looking at daily water changes and some drops of amquel (about $5) to combat ammonia.

There is no such thing as cycled water. The bacteria that allows a tank to cycle grow on surfaces of media and other parts of the tank, gravel, etc.

Hope the little guy is doing well. Next time you see this, take some photos and send them to WM corporate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store