I have holes and algae...I need help deciding why... pictures included!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
This is in the tank in my signature. I recently upgraded one bulb to the 23w (1450 lumens) the other 3 are 13w (700 lumens). I just changed one of the 13w to a 23w as well. There are 4 fixtures (clamp on heat lamp style). The lights are set right on the glass top.
The tank is 12" tall, only 1"--1.5" of substrate.
I also dose E.I. dry ferts. I feed my fish once a day, skipping a day here or there. pinch of flakes,10 pellets, algae waffer.
I was dosing for the 30 gallon high light per the examples provided until I realized (just last week) that it said HIGH light.
I was dosing Plantex CSM+B, KNO3, KH2PO4, and K2SO4. I have since stopped dosing K2SO4...I had two realizations last week. I cut my dosing amount and the extra K since it was not needed.
I also have Co2 injected to the tank via a cerges reactor that is tied into the spray bar.
I currently am dosing for a 10-20gallon per the example regimen, everyday minus Sunday when I do a 50% water change.
My lights are on a timer for 10hrs, noon to 10pm.

Ok hopefully that is everything needed to help make a informed suggestion.
Now on to my issues...

Crypt wendtii 'red'
CAM01065.jpgCAM01062.jpgCAM01064.jpg
Are the holes from too much light? Not enough? I forgot to mention that I do use root tabs for this plant.
I just put a new one near it because I realized it had been a long time since I done it last.

CAM01067.jpgCAM01066.jpg
As for the algae on the anubias it is black and looks fuzzy, almost hair like. but it is coarse to the touch.

Also a side note, I have frog bit and duckweed in this tank,and they recently started exploding with growth. Where previously they had only grown slowly. I remember when I had my ten gallon running and planted with the same system I had to scoop duckweed weekly.
CAM01061.jpgCAM01060.jpg

I took these pics with the wife's phone...I dropped mine, so my backup phone is no where near adequate. I really was hoping that the pics would turn out better than they did, I hope that they are still useful...Sorry in advance for the pics being upside down and what not...I swear on my comp. they are right side up until I load them.

Well here is everything I can think to provide, thanks in advance.

Sam

CAM01065.jpg CAM01062.jpg CAM01064.jpg CAM01067.jpg CAM01066.jpg CAM01061.jpg CAM01060.jpg

Last edited:

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Well since increasing 2 of my lights to 23w micro CFL's I have noticed the plants creating a lot more oxygen.

I still need a link or something to help me understand why the plants have holes and just my anubias has black fuzz on it.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
The "holes" look like Crypt Melt, how long have you had that plant?? If it is "Crypt Melt", it will grow back.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Well since increasing 2 of my lights to 23w micro CFL's I have noticed the plants creating a lot more oxygen.

I still need a link or something to help me understand why the plants have holes and just my anubias has black fuzz on it.
I tend to agree with tanker, the crypt issue may well be melt due to a change in environment (higher light in this case). Any change to the environment, such as different water parameters (GH or pH), nutrient dosing, light, can cause some crypts to melt. Leave the roots alone, and new leaves should grow.

Algae (the black fuzz is a form of brush algae) on Anubias is due to high light. This plant, like Java Fern which often has this same problem, is low light and thus low nutrients. Brush algae is quick to take advantage of too much of either. Keeping the Anubias in shade (floating plants, or overhanging plants) should alleviate this.

Byron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store