RCS Death !???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishcrazy2

AC Members
Mar 24, 2013
Maryland
I have a 5.5 g RCS tank.It is planted. I have lost 4-5 RCS out of 20 or so. I have had them for about 4 weeks. They all didn't die at one time but slowly losing one about every week. I tested the water Ammonia-0 Ph 7.2-7.6 (hard to tell) Nitrate- 0 Nitrate 5-10 (hard to tell) Gh and Kh 50-100. I have an Orange Tank 10 g all are fine no deaths with almost the same parameters. Not sure what I am doing wrong with the Cherries. The cherry tank does have a lot of baby pond snails because of the plants I added to the tank. I feed the shrimp algae wafers, shrimp cuisine (rarely)m, and omega one veggie pellets.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
I had a similar problem myself until I was down to 1 shrimp. I suspect that my problem was copper. Rather than test for copper, I just put a Seachem Cuprisorb pouch I bought on Amazon and problem solved! I can't be sure this is your problem, but the copper removal was cheaper than the test kit, so it's not a bad idea. I put a link to exactly what I bought below. It's $9.98... CHEAP!

Amazon Link http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...eASIN=B0002A5VWK&linkCode=as2&tag=teamdave-20

Now, I will say this... and it was strongly debated, but I had been feeding the inhabitants of my tank shrimp pellets (I have assassin snails in there too.) that I later found to contain copper sulfate in them. This may or may not have contributed to the problem, but I haven't lost a shrimp since I used the Seachem Cuprisorb pouch and eliminated the foods with copper sulfate in them. I recently also read test results for our city's water, and our tap water contains some copper as well. I hope you can solve your problem soon!

fishcrazy2

AC Members
Mar 24, 2013
Maryland
Hi, I haven't feed my other tank shrimp cuisine yet. I usually feed the tanks once a day. I haven't tested for copper thanks for the suggestion. I use Prime when doing a water change so I thought that it would remove it heavy metals like Copper. I am going to stop feeding Shrimp pellets and see if that makes a difference. I have a Berried Female and several saddled no baby shrimp. I know there were mixed reviews about copper being in Shrimp Cuisine. Maybe I put to much in the tank.

When I first got the shrimp Cuisine I was feeding it to them a lot, but I cut back once I got Omega One. I will probably start giving them veggies like Zucchini. I have some for my plecos. I thought overfeeding my be the cause of death.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
I strongly suggest that you buy the Cuprisorb then to remove the copper that is currently in the tank and start reading labels. They will continue to dwindle until you remove the copper if that is the culprit.

Let's talk about over-feeding... I know it's fun to feed the little fellas, but they are little fellas and their stomachs are only so big! Cut back on feeding them and see how they improve. They like algae a lot! I hardly feed mine at all, and they are thriving on algae happily. Give it a try... You won't regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fishcrazy2

AC Members
Mar 24, 2013
Maryland
Thanks. I think I am going to get the copper remover and a test kit this weekend. I will also cut back on feeding I think I am feeding way too much. I feed them everyday.

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
Would Cuprisorb get used up if I just leave it in my filter for a years even if I don't have copper problem?
I'm wondering if it's a good idea just to keep it in the filter, just in case one day some how traces of copper does pop up some how.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Would Cuprisorb get used up if I just leave it in my filter for a years even if I don't have copper problem?
I'm wondering if it's a good idea just to keep it in the filter, just in case one day some how traces of copper does pop up some how.
That's a good question. It would not get used up per say because it can be regenerated. Also, it only does something when copper is present. The way I understand it, is it is a material that attracts copper to form a bond with it thus removing it from the water. There is a chemical process for regenerating it which breaks the bond and returns the material to its original state. So there is no disadvantage to having it in your filter full time. If I remember correctly, you can tell if it has bonded with copper because it changes color to have a blueish tint.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store