2 or 3 bulbs for t8, planted 55?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thesneek

Registered Member
Feb 24, 2014
Hi, new here, but I've lurked a bit- this site is great and thanks everyone for the advice direct, inderect, and future.

I'm picking up a used 55 gallon tank- want to start my first planted. I'm on a budget (whatever allowance I can squeeze out of hubby). I'm hoping to end up low/med light- med/high tech- I want good strong growth, but want the tank to be ok if I leave for a week or two.

Anyway, keeping in mind co2 might be put on hold for awhile, I'm wondering what lighting to get. I've decided to get the dimond reflector t8 from home depot- should I get the two bulb or 3 bulb fixture? I'd also like to have the light on for as long as possible without getting algea outbreaks- time estimate? As far as space/ width goes, I plan on building a glass sliding top, so I'd need only a few inches to drop food in.

I plan on doing sort of an amazon biotope- more just the style rather than species specific, anubias, crypts, moss, jungle val, maybe sword/fern, driftwood. Also planing on black eco complete and black moon sand- good choices? I heard eco is more greyish... is there a good substrate that is dark black?

Also, would it work to spray paint the outside of the light fixture with rustolium paint? I know it is safe to use on animal cages, but wondering if it would affect the performance of the light fixture. If I can paint it black, it would tone down the hardware look significantly.

Thanks for any and all input!

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Lots of questions, so here goes. First, on the light. Over a 55g (4 feet length) I would suggest a dual T8 fixture (holding two 48-inch T8 tubes). If you do eventually decide to add diffused CO2, you might have to up this with a third tube, or move to T5. However, dual tube T5 with HO tubes now without CO2 will be very intense light. I had this over my 5-foot 115g tank and it was too much. While the duration matters, it does not compensate for intensity failings. The duration will depend upon the tank's biology when it is established, along with the light obviously and the plants. Floating plants can help here, but if the light is too bright, or on too long, algae will take advantage. I battled with brush algae for some time before I got things balanced with 8 hours max of tank light each day; a timer is best, to keep it consistent which is important for fish and plants.

It's up to you whether you do or don't eventually add CO2, but I will just say that if you are planning a "Amazon" aquascape, you will not need it as far as plants go. I have two Amazon geographic tanks, pictured below so you see what can be done simply. Top photo is my 70g flooded forest, and lower photo is the 115g stream.

As for substrate, I would go with sand alone. I tried Flourite substrate for two years and then tore the tank down and replaced it with play sand. First, plants were no better; but the sharpness did significant damage to my corys in this tank and they had to be taken out. I went with Flourite over Eco-Complete because in my hand the Flourite felt less abrasive. So I would not consider EC if you want substrate fish.

As for sand, black is fine, but I didn't like it myself; every little speck of detritus was visible, something I never see in my other tanks, and under the tank lighting (around 6500K which is best for fish and plant colours) it took on an odd grey tone. This may be what you referred to with the EC being greyish. I use Quikrete Play Sand; it replicates the natural sands in the Amazon, and the corys love it. This is the substrate in the tank photos.

I can't help much on the spray paint. As long as the water does not come into contact with any painted surface I wouldn't expect trouble.

Hope this helps get you started.

Byron.

70g Feb 27-14.JPG 115g Oct 17-13.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store