Am I doing this right?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I had a virus strike my tank killing all my bettas and 3 plecos ( 20 long community with 2 bristlenose and a rubberlip). It killed fast with no way to treat.

I would like to be able to save my filter. So I was researching, Most places recommend bleach but we do not keep any in my house. So I found one method that involved hydrogen peroxide and I want to make sure I did it right.

I took out my filter media and disposed of it then washed ( just using cool running water) any debris from my filter, I left it disassembled and filled a bucket with 1/2 gallon of water and about 1 tbsp of hydrogen peroxide and left it run 24 hours, then today I dumped that rinsed everything and put the filter back in the bucket with tap water. The filter was left to run both in the hyrogen peroxide solution and now in the regular water.

After this I will leave it apart ( turn it off of course) and lay it out to completely dry for a week.

Will this make it safe .. I will not put my axolotls at risk. My lotls filter isnt cutting it and this filter is rated for up to a 100 gallon but can be adjusted.

Btw yes Fungal infections and such can affect lotls and they are even more sensitive than fish as they have no scales.

Though this is not about my lotls lol I just wanna be 100% sure this filter is safe.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
a virus is difficult to kill..it can be placed in an environment that causes it to become a 'spore'

H2O2 we normally see is in a low concentration soln (3%) meaning 97% is water.. H2O2 is effective against a virus but diluting it may not work as you planned.
H2O2 breaks down quickly when exposed to light and you may not have had the equipment exposed to the H2O2 in a strong enough soln or for long enough to be effective.

if you are truly worried about it then I would rinse in full strength 3% soln. then rinse it.. scrubbing it with a new toothbrush may help as well.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
What are the othr options for cleaning it? If I can not sterilize it I will dispose of it.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Would drying it out and letting it sit for a week work? I mean, the virus lives in the water so drying it and letting it sit should work... Right?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Going to be honest, getting some bleach might be the best way to do it. Other than that I can't really think of a good way to purge the filter. Maybe a brine mix if the virus can only survive in freshwater? I don't have much experience with viruses so don't quote me on any of this haha.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Identifying the virus is the only true way to decide on an appropriate method of killing it. Most likely, for the home aquarist, that is not going to happen, especially after the fact. Bleach is your best option as is a full strength H2O2 and then a good dry out.

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
Most viruses can't live more than 14 days on a clean surface. If you don't want to go get a $3 bucket of bleach then just wash your filter and leave it out to dry for 2+ weeks and you should be fine.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
Its not that I dont want to get bleach ... most bleach has additives as well as I do not drive and dont trust myself to dose it ... I also dont trust that it will wash out completely.

I am ready to just throw this stupid filter away. I do not wanna lose my axolotls like I lost my fish and I really dont trust any method to sanitize it.

is rubbing alcohol followed by hydrogen peroxide something to consider? Rubbing alcohol will wipe out anything and then evaporate ... if it leaves any film thats where the hydrogen peroxide comes in

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Going to be frank, when in doubt throw it out. If you think it will kill or otherwise harm your fish, toss it because losing another tank is probably more expensive than replacing a filter.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I concur. A microbiologist aquarist once advised me that the most effective way to "clean" things is with straight pure bleach, followed by several good rinses with tap water, then allow to fully air dry. This works for filter housings, "python" water changer hoses, and the aquarium itself. Never attempt to "clean" filter media or porous objects (wood, rock) as these absorb things deeply. But I did not specifically ask about a virus, this advice was for bacteria and protozoan. Tossing the filter may be better here.

Byron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store