BN Plecos Spawning!???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishcrazy2

AC Members
Mar 24, 2013
Maryland
Is this a sign that my BN plecos are about to spawn? I had them about a year, maybe longer. I got them from two different people. The male has been in the "cave" for the last few days. He's pretty aggressive. I saw the female in there once, but nothing happened. Does it look like she has eggs. The female is an albino long fin. Male is Brown possibly calico x brown short fin.
bn plecos.jpg

bn plecos.jpg

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Once they spawn you will see eggs... usually they will hatch in a very short time, less than a week. Typically the make will prepare a place to care for the eggs and the wigglers once they hatch. Is the PVC cave new, or has it been in place for a while? I have bred mine several times but they have always spawned under the driftwood, on un a rock cave.... I have no experience with PVC caves like yours..

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
My BN breeds all the time in a PVC type of cave. Orange color eggs, and black wiggers. Unfortunately non have survived that I have seen.
Angel food. Are you sure that is a female?? Looks like a fat male. Can you get a better pic??

fishcrazy2

AC Members
Mar 24, 2013
Maryland
I have had the PVC cave for a while, he wasn't interested in it ever, around 6 months. I have a driftwood that has holes in it and he used to hang out in there, but for the last few days he's been in the cave. I think that she's female because she doesn't have the U or V shape like the male Albino BN I have.

Better Pic of her:
Bn pleco 1.jpg

Here is a better picture of the male:
Bn Pleco male.jpg

This is how my albino male looks:
Albino BN.jpg

Albino BN.jpg Bn pleco 1.jpg Bn Pleco male.jpg

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
She's a ripe female alright.

PVC is not an ideal material for breeding caves. The slick surface is too smooth for the eggs to adhere to. For this reason most breeders use the terracotta caves which work much better. I would suggest switching the pvc cave to a terra cotta one.

Andy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store