self-cloning crayfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Hi! So, I just got dumped with a trio of self cloning crayfish, and was wondering if anyone had any info. on these guys? Right now I'm housing them in a 5 gallon bucket about half full. My questions are, what kind of pH can these guys handle? Could they survive in pH 8? Do they eat other fish? Are they escape artists? What fish will eat them? Thanks!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I have these guys in almost every tank that doesn't have corys. First, p.h. is of no concern for these guys. What they do require in oxygen, so some form of air or water movement is necessary. They are about the worlds worst fishermen and unless you have bottom dwellers there is no fish on the menu unless a tankmate dies. I have never had one escape and I don't have a lid or a hood in the fishroom. As far as what eats them, cichlids, some loaches as they get them during molt, larger enough cat fish and anything big enough to swollow one.

Here is a cool trick, if you want them to turn blue feed them animal protien. Mine get a diet of blanch peas-really love them-and butchered convict sub-adults. You can use beef heart or other meat type foods but be care for water issues. They love snails, turns them blue as well. Make sure they have places to hide when molting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store