New filter!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bunnybear

AC Members
Feb 17, 2014
Just bought a Fluval Aquaclear 50(1-30 gallons I think?) today. Going to set it up in my tank in the next few days when I do my next water change so I can rinse the filter stuff in the tank water so I maybe get some good bacteria to stay. Is this a good idea or should I just switch and skip a water change?

I have an aqueon 13 with 5 neons, a betta, amano shrimp and mystery snail.

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
I love my AquaClear filters. Best hob on the market hands down.

Do your water change like you normally would. Rinse the media thoroughly. Doesn't matter if you use tap or tank water. There is very little bb in the water column so it most likely won't help you to use tank water.

When adding a new filter to one of my tanks I use one of the sponges or biomax from the established filter in the new filter and run both filters for a week or two. That will help you seed the rest of your media quicker and reduces the risk of creating a mini cycle. I then pull the filter I planned on replacing.

P.S. If you haven't already, pull the carbon. Save if for later if you ever have to remove meds. Other than that I never run carbon. I'm a double sponge/single biomax guy.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
I second what Hr0th9ar said! I also have an Aquaclear 50. Awesome filter. I also do the 2 sponge, 1 biomax.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Im a single sponge, double biomedia type of guy. I save the extre biomedia just in case i ever need to setup another tank or QT tank. I like my aquaclears. Im even making a little refugium out of one.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
bunny, you typically should be able to go several weeks between sponge rinsings on your AC filters. If it clogs up in a week, you need more filtration, less stocking or more water changes/ tank maintenance.

You'll know you need to rinse the sponge when the filter starts bypassing. It will dump water back into the tank from around 180deg suction tube elbow.

I'm another AC addict. Currently have 5 of them running. 2 AC 30s, 2 AC 70s and an AC 110. Like said, they're the best in terms of media, but IMO, their pumps suck. Harsh, noisy and often require a "flick" start to get the impeller spinning after a shut-down and (attempted) restart.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store