Pea (Dwarf) Puffer compataility.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vino

AC Members
Jan 1, 2014
Western, NY
I currently have a 29 gal planted tank with Neon tetras (5), Black tetras (4), a Green Tiger barb, 2 Corys, and some shrimp and snails.

Im aware that the shrimp and snails are on the menu, and that's fine. But would the Puffer get along well with the rest of the stock? The tank is heavily planted and has two pieces of driftwood (lots of hiding spots and a few open areas).

Thanks

Vino

AC Members
Jan 1, 2014
Western, NY
Wonderful. I'd really only plan on getting one anyway. If that isn't feasable, then it would be one Bolivian ram to join the "community".

Last edited:

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I'd be careful. I had dwarf puffers in with several other types of fish. They would be fine for a while, but after time, one (or more) of them would always turn psycho. I've had a bunch of experience with these guys, and this is the one thing you can count on with them.

That being said, I also had 5 in with RCS in a heavily planted 29, and they didn't noticeably dent the shrimp population.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
You will hear mixed opinions when it comes to dwarf puffers. Depending on the personality of each fish they may decide to nip at some of the other fish. They may be small but they are much more agile and those fused beaklike teeth can do some damage.

Sent from my VS980 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Vino

AC Members
Jan 1, 2014
Western, NY
SO the general feeling I am getting is that this is a crap shoot, and they are more than likely best left to a species tank.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
SO the general feeling I am getting is that this is a crap shoot, and they are more than likely best left to a species tank.
Its the safest bet to have a species tank with these. For one to live in a community peacefully will total depend on the fish. Im on the same boat, ive heard mixed opinions about them.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store