Tank maint.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nocturnus

AC Members
Feb 26, 2004
Central Texas
www.photo-mojo.net
Real Name
Ed
Camera Used
Canon 70d
So, I just moved to some newly built apartments. And since they are trying to be green, they installed low flow faucets through the place. I'm not really getting enough suction out of it (I have a Python) to pull water from the tank. My shower on the other hand has awesome water pressure.

So my question is, has anyone rigged up a Python to their shower? I was figuring on getting whatever adapters I need to connect a hose to the shower hose coming out the wall and use a length of hose to get it outside to connect to the top of the filler adaper then just connecting the python to that and have it drain outside.

Any other suggestions I should look into?

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Would getting a pump be easier/faster? But I've never used the Python.

Nocturnus

AC Members
Feb 26, 2004
Central Texas
www.photo-mojo.net
Real Name
Ed
Camera Used
Canon 70d
Maybe. I was looking at electric ones, but I might get one of those inline bulb style pumps they put on boats to prime the motor with gas. I just really need to get the siphon going. I'll have to look into this tomorrow. I really need to find my faucet adapter so I can fill this tank. Think I left that at my old apt. Doh.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
If you're going to drain out a window, you don't need an adapter for the shower. Just get some water in the Python hose (it needn't be full), keep the 1 end in the tank underwater put the other end out the window. As long as the window end is lower than the tank bottom, it works....You can also suck on the "window" end to start the siphon (yuck! but people do). Then you can attach the Python to your sink to refill the tank.

I looked for a way to attach hose to the shower, asked plumbing people & they said there isn't really a good way other than hose clamps.

MilitantPotato

Got Pleco?
Apr 11, 2006
St. Louis, Mo
www.plecofanatics.com
I use a marineland Maxijet 900 which fits 3/4th Id hosing, I run a bit of vinyl hose to a barb to garden hose fitting and then some old garden hose. Works like a champ. I gravel vac into a small bucket with a cheap syphon for detritus.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

screech

AC Members
Mar 23, 2011
Real Name
Dan
Zigman is right. The aerator that screws on to the faucet spout has a disc inside with a small hole in it. Just remove the disc and put the aerator back on. When you're done with the water change, you can put the disc back in.

Nocturnus

AC Members
Feb 26, 2004
Central Texas
www.photo-mojo.net
Real Name
Ed
Camera Used
Canon 70d
Ok, well. Another setback. Can't hook the python up to the faucet. The areater is recessed in, so I can attach my faucet adapter, but can't thread the python up since my adapter is almost hidden inside the faucet. Going to have to hit up HD and figure out an adapter for the faucet, or just drop a good flow pump in a bucket under the bath tub faucet to pump water into the tank.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Back when I had my tank maint. business I bought several different sized faucet adapters from a plumbing supply business. Not Lowe's or HD, but one that supplies just plumbing. There are so many different styles of faucet, old and new, that I finally bought most of the adapters they sold and could configure to every faucet I encountered.

Also, as mentioned, you can get the siphon started and just let gravity empty the tank for you. I use a hose fitting I plumbed through the wall and attach a garden hose to the other end outside and drain into the garden. You could just as easily drain into the shower or tub.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store