135 gallon stocking questions ???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Seahorse8383

AC Members
Feb 18, 2014
I have a 135 gallon tank that is heavly planted with fake, live, floating plants and lots of caves with plenty of open swimming space. I currently have 6 cory catfish, 3 large angelfish, 1 albino bristlenose pleco, 3 neon tetras, 6 red fin tetras, 9 female bettas, 7 male platies, 14 female platies and 3 gold gouramis. How far am I from being fully stocked??? If you read this I wanna hear your opinion. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-R760 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Last edited:

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
EDIT: Maybe about 65% full.....I dunno. Lots of platys haha.

Seahorse8383

AC Members
Feb 18, 2014
Yeah I do have a bunch of platies. Lol. I want them to breed. I would like to have a lot of baby platies so that I could use some as feeders dor my breeding Jack dempsey pair. If I can bring myself to use them as feeders then I will trade them for store credit.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I have a 135 gallon tank that is heavly planted with fake, live, floating plants and lots of caves with plenty of open swimming space.
Seems like you can house just about any community fish in this tank...

I currently have 6 cory catfish, 3 large angelfish, 1 albino bristlenose pleco, 3 neon tetras, 6 red fin tetras, 9 female bettas, 7 male platies, 14 female platies and 3 gold gouramis.
The tetras (neon & red fin) would probably do better in larger schools. I suggest like 20 for the neons and probably a solid 10-12 for the red fins depending on their size and temperament. That would bring total stocking to... 53 active mid-top level fish (tetras & platies), 7 bottom level fish(cories & pleco), 3 large centerpiece fish (angelfish), and 12 top level fish (gouramis & betta). If you chose to fill out the schools I think that would be a fully stocked tank, with the possible addition of some more bottom dwelling fish (probably cories).

How far am I from being fully stocked??? If you read this I wanna hear your opinion. Thanks
If you have above-average filtration you could probably get away with a decent size increase in stock. Maybe by a third? That said, the platies WILL have babies, and you WILL miss some of them... so leave space for the platy schools to double or even triple.

EDIT: Just want to say, I always overfilter & therefore tend to overstock a bit haha. Maybe only 15 neons and 8 red fins... :grinyes:

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Yeah, I think you've got quite a bit of room left. But, it depends on what you have in mind. If you are wanting to up your schools….absolutely! If you are wanting to add an oscar…no way! I would up that school of cories….they are so much fun in large groups!

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
My 2 cents: Start a journal if you don't have one already. Test your water levels. Stick to your maintenance schedule. As long as the water is stable and clean with your cleaning schedule, slowly add fish until something changes.

You could not change water for a year if you kept 6 neons in a tank that size. You could keep 200 fish in that tank if you changed the water every other day and had a 100 gallon sump. It is all based on water quality and the amount of water changes you like. You can have more fish the larger your filters and the more often you change your water.

Seahorse8383

AC Members
Feb 18, 2014
I just took my blood fin tetras out after I witnessed them trying to nip my bettas fins. Imma def up my cories tho. They are just so cute. Thanks for all the advice. Feel free to keep em coming

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
if you took out the red fins the you could do maybe 25-35 neons. a school that size will look great but make sure you don't get them too small or they will be your angelfish's sushi lunch

Seahorse8383

AC Members
Feb 18, 2014
Lol. I actually have glow light tetras. Could I do the same amount of those?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store