attempting to breed blue three-spot gouramis

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DallasJeremy

AC Members
Feb 4, 2014
So I've read some online and wanted to better my odds by asking for advice. I've removed the female, almost 4'', from the community tank and placed her in a 20 gallon tall tank with about 6" of water. The filter is a hob thats been rigged with a sponge as to not disturb the water. I've put some floating plants in as well and have the temp at about 78 degrees F. I have two males in the community tank both are 5-6". One is a blue three-spot and the other is an orange three-spot. They've all always gotten along. The orange is the only one thats chased the female a little sometimes. Not much really. So I'm wanting to know is it best to move the male to the females 20 gallon tank now or when? What to feed the gouramis to help the process? What else do I need to do to better my chances? I've never done this before and would like some advice from somebody that has or witnessed it. I also have a ten gallon tank but its not set up or cycled, if that would be a better size. Thanks. Also, I'm having trouble getting the temp up, its a 200 watt heater but maybe a little on the old side. I was considering taping dark paper to the outside of the tank to curb distractions.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Let me start by saying a 20H may be a tad small for the job, I'd use a 20L. First things first, have you conditioned these fish well? I'd supllement with frozen blood worms and adult brine shrimp for at least a week. Watch the female, you should be easily able to see her swollen with eggs. Once the fish are conditioned, I'd introduce one of the males. Keep the lights low and watch carefully. I have always allowed the male a seperate tank and introduced the female. Don't know where you read doing it the other direction, but seeing you're set up give it a try. I would let them go at least 24 hours with no feedings and see if they are showing signs of spawning. Keep in mind that they will blow a smallish bubble nest. I kept looking for a huge nest and messed up several spawns that way.

DallasJeremy

AC Members
Feb 4, 2014
they blew a bubble nest today and it disapeared by night. in the last couple hours another nest has apeared, larger this time. I havn't seen them coupling underneath it but I don't watch it all the time. they've been in there for two days. I didn't condition them with the frozen foods. I fed them today. If this doesnt work, I'll take them out and condition them and try it again. how long should I leave them in there before giving up?

DallasJeremy

AC Members
Feb 4, 2014
the bubble nest is still there today. the male is staying under it. the female is now hiding. the other large gourami I thought was a male has begun getting swolen with eggs. I'm thinking I'm going to switch out females since I didn't condition the first one.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I'd move the female out and leave him go 48 hours. It can be hard to see the eggs, and I've killed off a few spawns that way.

DallasJeremy

AC Members
Feb 4, 2014
I guess it didn't workout because I didn't condition the female prior to seperating them for spawning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store