Where to buy a large tank (125 gallons +)???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Hey guys - I'm moving in the fall and I'm finally going to set up my dream tank. Preferably 125 or larger. I have an idea of what I'd like. I love the look of a 125 Long, but I think I'd like a larger tank with more water capacity.

So I'm wondering if someone could provide me some info on tank styles and where to look online?

What comes after 125? 150 gallons? And do they have long styles?

I'm not finding much on a google search - every store just seems to max out at 90 gallons

Also, if it matters any, tank will be housing mainly SA Cichlids, mostly eartheaters such a S. Daeman, Jurupari, Red Head Tapajos and a few others such as Threadfin Acaras

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Big box & lfs can order what you want from catalogs. Shipping is high for heavy breakable tanks. Glass cages will deliver to where they're having a show but you & several friends will need to get it home.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
After 125 gallons is all different sizes such as 130, 135, 150 long, 150 tall, 180, 180 bowfront, etc. You get the idea. Many styles and types to choose from. It depends on the style you like.

Try craigslist to see if you can find a used tank or ask your LFS if they can order you one.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
When I am ready for a tank I start watching craigs list. I'll watch for a few months to learn the current market. When the right deal pops out I'll know the value and grab it. My last purchase was a glass 135g for $75. Craigs list works best if you are not in a hurry. Of course, if you have the easy budget for a new tank go with what said fishorama said.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
So I'm wondering if someone could provide me some info on tank styles and where to look online?

What comes after 125? 150 gallons? And do they have long styles?

I'm not finding much on a google search - every store just seems to max out at 90 gallons
Most standard size tanks from 125-210g are 6 foot long with various depth and heights. Anything longer would be a custom job.

Aqueon and marineland websites I think both have tank sizes on them, aqueon does for sure. glasscages.com as mentioned already as well. Any decent LFS should be able to order whatever size you want, not sure about the big box stores Petco told me they wont order larger then they carry in store.

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
After 125 gallons is all different sizes such as 130, 135, 150 long, 150 tall, 180, 180 bowfront, etc. You get the idea. Many styles and types to choose from. It depends on the style you like.

Try craigslist to see if you can find a used tank or ask your LFS if they can order you one.

75$!!! That's a heck of a deal! I have been surfing Craig's list a bit. It makes sense, if someone wants to get out of the hobby and/or has this huge tank lying around and just want to get rid of it. I'm in no hurry, just want to start planning and searching and getting an idea.

I'll also check out some of the sites mentioned above!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I got my 125 at petsmart, but wish I had waited to get a deal on craigslist. I know that you can find 125s there, I doubt they have anything bigger lying around. MFK has some good deals on there every once in awhile too

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
75$!!! That's a heck of a deal! I have been surfing Craig's list a bit. It makes sense, if someone wants to get out of the hobby and/or has this huge tank lying around and just want to get rid of it. I'm in no hurry, just want to start planning and searching and getting an idea.

I'll also check out some of the sites mentioned above!
Why not build your own plywood tank? Make it to the dimensions you want.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Being from the Boston area, and constantly being in the market for tanks (although not tanks that are that large) over the last 6 or so years, I have learned 1 thing re CL. In the Boston area, prices are unrealistically high. Most people want what they paid or very close to it for their tanks. After you get tired of perusing CL, I would try Glasscages. They will custom build a tank of any size and dimension for you, and you can get it delivered somewhere on the south shore (I believe I picked mine up in Taunton) relatively inexpensive (I paid $65 a coupla years ago). Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store