55 gallon freshwater aquarium, Variety of Tropical fish, Need advise

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Smallatt07

Registered Member
Mar 28, 2014
Redding, CA
Real Name
Steven Martin
Recently my green cory and albino cory started doing their mating dance and laying eggs, i secluded them to one side of the tank about a ten gallon tank size section, i have removed the eggs that turned into fungus and did a water treatment. about a few hours later i look back in my tank to find one of my anglefish laying dead on the bottom and have no idea why. Can anyone give me some information or atleast point me in the right direction. Thank you

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Can you explain exactly what you mean by "did a water treatment"?

Byron.

Smallatt07

Registered Member
Mar 28, 2014
Redding, CA
Real Name
Steven Martin
when i do a water treatment i syphon out about 10-15 gallons, replace it with fresh tap water (pretty close to the tank temp). Clean the filters, vaccum the gravel and structures. The chemicals i have are the following: Tetra Easy Balance Plus, Aqueon Water Conditioner nd Aqueon Water Clarifer. I add the recommended amount per gallon near the filter, if not in it. Basically a water change i guess. I had an ick treatment pill that i put in the filter after the anglefish died. when i pulled the angle out one side of it looked normal and the other side looked pale and didnt look and feel like there were scales. I know Chinese algea eaters are known to suck the slime coats off disc fish, i dont know if the dojo loach is in the same family. And i woke up this morning to more cory cat eggs.

kumar420

AC Members
Feb 5, 2014
You shouldnt be cleaning the filter so often, it kills the denitrifying bacteria and screws with water quality. The filter should only be cleaned once a month, and all the media rinsed with tank water not tap water. The fungus problem could have been from stress due to an ammonia/nitrite spike

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I'm in agreement. And there are some other issues here.

First, I would get rid of the Chinese Algae Eater. This fish is territorial and gets large, up to 12 inches though 6-8 inches in aquaria is usual, and almost always turns quite nasty. It eats less and less algae as it matures, and has been known frequently to kill other fish.

Second, you are putting too many chemicals in the tank for no benefit. Water clarifiers should never be used with fish present; these work by binding microscopic particles into larger particles that can more easily be caught by the filter media, but the binding also occurs in the fish's gills. The ich "pill" I've no idea about, but unless you see definite signs of ich, don't treat for it. Treatments only add to fish stress.

The Tetra Easy Balance I would not use. Any product that messes around with a tank's biology to reduce water changes, as it claims, is not going to be beneficial and most likely the opposite.

Water changes are the most important aspect of a healthy fish tank. I would change more water, at least half the tank, once a week. Use a good conditioner (the Aqueon is fine), nothing else. Siphon the detritus from the substrate during the water change. Rinse the filter media as needed, in a bucket of tank water. Each filter/tank is different, so the frequency depends upon the situation. I rinse my sponge filters every week, but my canisters are rinsed every 3 months (one of them) or 4 months (two others).

The dojo loach also gets large, up to 12 inches with 9-10 usual, and is a cool water fish (below 70F). I've no idea what other fish besides those mentioned might be in this tank, so there could be compatibility issues that will also add stress. About 95% of all fish deaths is directly caused by stress.

Byron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store