Chemistry issues with Fishless cycle.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vino

AC Members
Jan 1, 2014
Western, NY
Ive been cycling my soon to be Shelly tank for about a month now. As of last week my Ammo dropped to 0, Nitrites were dropping to almost 0 and my Nitrates were begining to show.

Once it cycled I kept adding ammonia to keep the bacteria fed until I was able to get fish in the tank. Last night I accidentally added a little too much ammonia. I figured it would be fine and that the bacteria would take just a bit more time to gobble it up and convert it.

Fast forward to this morning when I tested the water... Ammo- 0, NitrIte .5, Nitrate 20.. all pretty normal. But my PH, which I hadn't checked in a week and a half (as there was really no need) went from 8.2 to 7. I was so dumbfounded that I had to test it again. Sure enough it was the same.

I have texas holey rock, and aragonite mixed (50/50) into my substrate. Any idea why my PH dropped so dramatically?

bikeman48088

AC Members
Aug 18, 2014
SE Michigan
www.evolvethebike.com
Ive been cycling my soon to be Shelly tank for about a month now. As of last week my Ammo dropped to 0, Nitrites were dropping to almost 0 and my Nitrates were begining to show.

Once it cycled I kept adding ammonia to keep the bacteria fed until I was able to get fish in the tank. Last night I accidentally added a little too much ammonia. I figured it would be fine and that the bacteria would take just a bit more time to gobble it up and convert it.

Fast forward to this morning when I tested the water... Ammo- 0, NitrIte .5, Nitrate 20.. all pretty normal. But my PH, which I hadn't checked in a week and a half (as there was really no need) went from 8.2 to 7. I was so dumbfounded that I had to test it again. Sure enough it was the same.

I have texas holey rock, and aragonite mixed (50/50) into my substrate. Any idea why my PH dropped so dramatically?
Ammonia is very basic. After it gets converted into nitrate, it is no longer basic. The fact that your final pH was essentially neutral indicates that your tank doesn't have any buffering capability in it yet or you are doing water changes with a neutral-slightly acidic water source.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
After it is converted to nitrate, it is really no longer ammonia.. just saying...

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
true

but then it wouldn't be ammonia causing the pH shift....semantics for sure.. :raspberry:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
its the OH- that causes it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store