"Gems" - Anyone know about these Freshwater fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
After googling "Gem Freshwater Fish" there really wasn't anything with a good description for such a fish. Is it known under a different name? What species is it?
Any information would be great. I am considering one for my community tank but would like to know about it before purchasing it.
Thanks

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
I did find some conflicting information now, but not much. Does anyone have experience they can share about this fish? Thanks

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
There's a whole'lotta "gems" in terms of tropical fish as far as I'm concerned!

I've never heard of a specific fish termed "Gem".

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I googled it and i got a few pictures of scarlet gem badis. I believe the scientific name is dario dario but im not 100% sure.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I'm thinking ktrom13 is correct. Neat little fish if you set them up correctly.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Its a cool fish. Ive had one and imo they can be a bit difficult to ween onto dry foods like flakes. They will READILY accept live food.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
We're considering two different though related species here. The fish linked by Evanleigh is Badis badis. The Dario dario is what comes up as "gem" for me and others it seems. Here are some excerpts from profiles I wrote a couple years back that may be of help. I have kept the smaller Dario dario, and would agree they may not eat dry or prepared foods.

Badis badis
[HR][/HR]​
Family: Badidae

Common Names: Badis, Chameleon Fish

Origin and Habitat: Ganges River system (India, Nepal, Bangladesh), Mahanadi River drainage (India), Assam lowlands (India); Buthan and Pakistan. There is some differentiation in colouring depending upon the locale. Found in solitude along the margins of slow-moving rivers and streams with thick vegetation, and in ponds, ditches and swamps.

Compatibility/Temperament: Peaceful in a community tank of non-active and non-aggressive fish that prefer the slightly cooler temperatures; it may not eat if kept with active feeders. It will naturally prey upon shrimp. Should not be combined with similar lower level fish such as dwarf cichlids as these will be seen as rivals. Males are territorial and can be aggressive so a pair (male/female) should be housed in a 24-inch tank and a group requires larger aquaria.

Badis Diet

Feeds naturally on worms, crustaceans and insects. They are shy deliberate feeders [see under Description] that at least initially may require live foods such as worms, artemia, daphnia; frozen bloodworms, daphnia and brine shrimp should be accepted, and some fish may eventually accept dried foods.

Size

Males attain slightly over 3 inches (8 cm) but usually around 2.4 inches (6 cm) in aquaria, with females slightly smaller.

Minimum Tank Suggestion

24 inches in length for a pair.

Water parameters for Badis

Soft to medium (< 15 dGH), slightly acidic to slightly basic (pH 6 to 7.5) water. Habitat waters are subject to considerable seasonal temperature variation, but in the aquarium 20-25C/68-77F is recommended. Spawning will require warmer water at the upper end of this range.

Dario dario
[HR][/HR]​
Family: Badidae

Common Names: Scarlet Badis

Origin and Habitat: Brahmaputra River system in Assam and northwest Bengal states, India. Found in shallow streams thick with aquatic or marginal vegetation and a sand or gravel substrate.

Compatibility/Temperament: A naturally shy and retiring fish, it may be maintained in a community tank of very peaceful fishes that are not active such as smaller rasbora (Boraras and Trigonostigma sp.), pygmy gourami, small characins, and any of the dwarf Corydoras species. Males may be aggressive particularly in small tanks.

Scarlet Badis Diet

Naturally feed on insect larvae, small crustaceans, worms, zooplankton; offer live foods (artemia, blackworms, daphnia), frozen bloodworms, daphnia and brine shrimp. Active tankmates may result in this fish refusing to eat.

Size

Males attain 2 cm, females less; the smallest known percoid species.

Minimum Tank Suggestion

5 gallons but preferably 10 gallons.

Water parameters for Scarlet Badis

Soft to medium hard (< 15 dGH), acidic to basic (pH 6 to 8) water, temperature 18-26C/65-79F.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store