Keeping cory from pulling plants?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
So, I know this is normal, but how do you keep them from pulling up the plants? I plants some DHG in one of my tanks, that only has ONE cory has managed to pull out almost all of the grass. In my other tank same deal. Is there any way that I can keep them from doing that?

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
So, I know this is normal, but how do you keep them from pulling up the plants? I plants some DHG in one of my tanks, that only has ONE cory has managed to pull out almost all of the grass. In my other tank same deal. Is there any way that I can keep them from doing that?
You probably can't without removing the cory. Corys naturally sift through the substrate. The problem is that the plants are not yet anchored, which they eventually will be if they remain in the substrate of course. And then the corys will not uproot them.

With larger plants one can use methods like small pebbles, but this may not be so practical with hairgrass.

Byron.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Yep pretty much if you want to add hair grass, baby tears or othing similar small rooted plants cories have to be removed until the root systems can full establish themselves.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
^^ yep, this^^. You can't stop bottom feeders from doing what they do...dig...Add them after lightly planted & not established plants get a "good" grip, yeow..,.there is no better way. I've tried, lol. & if you only have a few cories or loaches...any diggers, your plants are toast, I've tried...many times without good success.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Perfect excuse to setup a sand bottomed 20,29 or 40B for the corys!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store