Julie Dickfeldi...dead after 1 hr in tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vino

AC Members
Jan 1, 2014
Western, NY
I recently finished cycling my 20 long. I checked my parameters today and all was good. Ammo-0, NitrIte- 0, NitrAte 20, PH- 7.8 and Temp 82.

I headed to my LFS today and picked up 1 Julie Dickfeldi.

Once home I acclimate him to the tank water by floating the bag, adding a cup of water every 15 minutes or so, until I have added 3 cups total. The fish was in the bag for about an hour. Then, I released him into the empty tank (no other life). I left the lights off for the first 30 minutes, as he hid behind a rock. Once I felt that he was settled, I turned the light on.

With the lights on he slowly came out from behind the rock and explored the tank. Everything looked fine and I was pleased that he was enjoying his new home. Then, after about 20 to 30 mins after I turned the light on he began darting around the tank in a very spastic way. He shot to the top. Then down to the bottom. Then over to the side. Then he was kind of vertical and seeming to struggle to get his bearings. The he laid down and was kinda of twitching (like he was having a siezure or something). Immeditately drained and replaced 5 gallons of water in the hopes that fresh water would maybe help. Nothing..

5 minutes later he was laying still at the bottom of the tank. I poked him with the net to see if there was any life, but nothing. Into the toilet he went...

Im very dissapointed and feel bad for the little bugger. Any ideas what went wrong?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store