CO2 refill - is CO2 very cold ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AqEnthusiast

AC Members
Dec 19, 2011
Hi

I just got my first CO2 refill and when I just opened it it felt super cold to fingers with even some kind of dry snow coming out of it and there is no smell in it ( i think its odour less)

As I am new to this kind of refill my question is:

Is this normal? It has no smell? Should it be this much cold? Is there any "type" of co2 that we need in planted tank?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Wouldn't worry about the temperature drop. You're not dealing with volumes that would have a negative effect on your tank.

Most gasses (even mixtures like air) will cool off when passed from high pressure to low pressure through a nozzle. It's called the Joule-Thomson (JT) effect. CO2 will form dry ice snow doing this. CO2 is neat stuff. It can remain a liquid at room temperature, provided it's kept at pressure. Drop the pressure much below 100psig and it will go directly from a liquid to a solid (dry ice). Re-pressurize it, and it will go from solid to liquid again.

FWIW, I'm a production tech for a bunch of plants that make cryogenic liquids.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Wouldn't worry about the temperature drop. You're not dealing with volumes that would have a negative effect on your tank.

Most gasses (even mixtures like air) will cool off when passed from high pressure to low pressure through a nozzle. It's called the Joule-Thomson (JT) effect. CO2 will form dry ice snow doing this. CO2 is neat stuff. It can remain a liquid at room temperature, provided it's kept at pressure. Drop the pressure much below 100psig and it will go directly from a liquid to a solid (dry ice). Re-pressurize it, and it will go from solid to liquid again.

FWIW, I'm a production tech for a bunch of plants that make cryogenic liquids.
So im guessing at high pressure the CO2 will turn to gas? Or is it the opposite?

Btw, be careful with cold gasses. Exposure to the skin at those temps can cause skin irritation and other symptoms.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
So im guessing at high pressure the CO2 will turn to gas? Or is it the opposite?

Btw, be careful with cold gasses. Exposure to the skin at those temps can cause skin irritation and other symptoms.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Yep. Check out a CO2 phase chart online or the likes.

Skin irritation? You bet. More like severe burns or even worse.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store