Kribs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BBaker1657425

AC Members
Dec 9, 2013
Today I noticed my female krib noticeably skinnier during feeding time. I have her with her mate in a 10 gallon tank with drift wood and a rock cave that they have dug out. I think they may have spawned but she out and swimming around while the male is hiding in the cave. Any idea on what going on?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
They spawned. He is in there fanning the eggs and likely they will switch off. Wait a few days and you will see them come out with a small cloud of fry. If you watch carefully, you will likely see a few fry escape. Keep the feed level sort of low for the parents as they are not too interested in eating. If their in a community tank, I'd siphon them out once the cloud appears and raise them in a seperate tank. They will not need mom and dad anymore. Feed fresh hatched baby brine shrimp.

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
That's great! I have read about other spawnings of different kinds of fish lately - must be the start of the season. I will be buying a krib soon. The lfs is going to call me when some come in.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Today I noticed my female krib noticeably skinnier during feeding time. I have her with her mate in a 10 gallon tank with drift wood and a rock cave that they have dug out. I think they may have spawned but she out and swimming around while the male is hiding in the cave. Any idea on what going on?

Sweet. Your kribs have laid eggs. I agree wih what was said above. Fry are easy picking for other fish so if they are in a community you should remove them once they hatch.

Steven, if your only getting one krib, you should try to pick up a female. They are more colorful. Females usually have a nice color up stomach area. If its possible, buy like 6 of them and let them choose their own mates and rehome all the others.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Miguel

fan of the apistos
Feb 27, 2004
Montgomery MN
Visit site
It should only take a couple of days and then they hatch. Then for the next few days they feed off the yolk sac. Once they are free moving the parents will take them out of the cave and start to herd them around the tank. This is when you will have to start feeding them. The parents will probably have a couple of dug out areas that they move them to through out the day.

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
Without predators the fry are pretty easy to raise. Baby brine shrimp is a good food, but golden pearls or even finely crushed flake will work.

BBaker1657425

AC Members
Dec 9, 2013
Ok so today I got back from vacation ad the fry were swimming around with the parents. I was wondering what the best way to catch them to put in another tank would be? Do I use a net or do I siphon them out?

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Siphon or turkey baster..Transfer quickly over water, they get out of baster quickly somehow. I've always felt net too rough for fry this young..congrats! Pics please..I love kribs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store