Speaker foam in tank OK?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cubequeen

AC Members
Apr 28, 2007
Indiana
www.etsy.com
Real Name
Karen
I recently ordered online some 1/4" thick black speaker foam. I have two AquaClear Quick Filters I am using as pre-filters for two powerheads. My plan was to use this as a thin outer layer in the filters over white polyester floss, primarily for aesthetic reasons to cover the the white floss. I did not notice before ordering the tiny type on the website that says "NOTE: Not for use in aquariums." This stuff looks just like sponge material for aquariums, only thinner. Does anyone know any reason why it can't be used in an aquarium? As long as it doesn't contain any anti-microbial chemicals, one would think foam is foam, don't you think? I contacted the company by email and they responded that it cannot be used as fish filter, but did not specify why. Does anyone know any reason speaker foam might be harmful to fish?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Eek, I don't think I'd use "stinky", aquarium "unfsafe" foam to save a couple bucks. There are chemical compounds in some foams that "may" be an issue, why risk it?

cubequeen

AC Members
Apr 28, 2007
Indiana
www.etsy.com
Real Name
Karen
Well, the idea was not so much to save money, but I wanted something really thin and in a large sheet, as I was also going to use it to construct a false back wall to hide the filters and that would also be a pseudo-mattenfilter, and I could not find anything specifically for aquarium use. What I bought does specify that it is also for filter use, both air and liquid, and does not mention any anti-microbial, anti-fungal, anti-mold or flame-retardant chemicals.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Maybe you need to call the company and ask them if it has any treatments as you mentioned. Don't say you want to use it in an aquarium. They may have to tell you for legal reason (some regulation) that it's "not for aquarium use." Lots of things are labeled that way because somebody somewhere used a product in an aquarium and lost fish and sued the company for not marking it "not for aquarium use." It's like the McDonalds coffee cup warning about "Caution: Contents may be hot" DUH! It better be hot, or I'm sending it back! (For the record: I only drink McCoffee out of desperation or if someone else buys it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cubequeen

AC Members
Apr 28, 2007
Indiana
www.etsy.com
Real Name
Karen
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, it's just a cover their a** statement. Too late about not telling them I want to use it for an aquarium, but I asked for more information about WHY, if there is something about that is not safe for fish or whether they say that because of the structure, because maybe it's not particularly efficient for aquarium filtration, which I already realized. I have also requested MSDS sheets. To be honest, I have already put a small amount in the filters, after rinsing and rinsing very well, and no problems so far. I'll post back when/if I get more info.

BallAquatics

Fish Breeder
Oct 9, 2010
Central Ohio, USA
www.ballaquatics.com
Real Name
Dennis Ball
To be honest, I have already put a small amount in the filters, after rinsing and rinsing very well, and no problems so far. I'll post back when/if I get more info.
That's what I would expect until you reach the LD50.....

In toxicology, the median lethal dose, LD[SUB]50[/SUB] (abbreviation for “lethal dose, 50%”), LC[SUB]50[/SUB] (lethal concentration, 50%) or LCt[SUB]50[/SUB] (lethal concentration and time) of a toxin, radiation, orpathogen is the dose required to kill half the members of a tested population after a specified test duration.
I'm hoping for you & your fish that it doesn't work out this way.

Dennis

cubequeen

AC Members
Apr 28, 2007
Indiana
www.etsy.com
Real Name
Karen
Well I was freaking out a little because they sent me MSDS sheets and one said the foam contained an anti-microbial ingredient, but it turns out that it was the not correct MSDS for the speaker filter foam and they don't actually have an MSDS for the speaker/filter foam.

The most comprehensive answer I can get from them is "The reason we cannot recommend the speaker foam for the fish tank is because we have not tested it for that application. We cannot say whether or not it would harm your fish, and do not want to be liable if something should happen."

So I think everything ZorroNet said is probably correct and I probably ​don't have much to worry about.

The website does have a definite statement that the foam does not contain a flame retardant, and I can't imagine any reason a speaker/filter foam would have any other kind of chemical treatment, so I'm not too worried about the small amount I have in there now, but I am reconsidering adding any more and will probably remove what I have in there now.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
There are other products out there that could do the same job. If you aren't sure, don't risk your fishes' lives. I know it's frustrating not knowing "why", but better safe than sorry in an expensive hobby like this.

Can you show us a photo of your tank, so we can make suggestions on how you can accomplish what you were trying to accomplish in a DIY sorta way? I personally love DIY over buying expensive name brand stuff. My fish can't read, so they don't tend to be impressed by brands anyway :)

cubequeen

AC Members
Apr 28, 2007
Indiana
www.etsy.com
Real Name
Karen
Well, when I get home this evening I can take a photo, but I have already decided to go back to a previous idea I had for a false back wall. I can't believe I forgot about this after all the work I put into it, but I had taken an ABS plastic sheet and drilled lots and lots and lots of holes in it to disguise the filter equipment but let water flow through. It actually looks pretty cool. The only thing I didn't like about it is that I couldn't keep the fish from getting behind it and hiding. I finally ended up drilling a few even bigger holes so if they get back there, they can at least find their way back out. I've decided I'll have to live some of the fish hiding back there some of the time. They'll have to come out sometime if they want food.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Sounds like you have your idea already in motion. Go for it!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store