Tank size upgrade, cycling and mollies and Gender Ratio. Woah.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cme28

Registered Member
Apr 2, 2014
Greetings, I'm Christine and I am looking for advice on keeping my existing fish happy. After years of being tankless I bought one for relaxation and enjoyment in my home office, which has turned out to be 10 gallons of anxiety. I made the mistake of not doing simple research and relying on the advice of a local aquarium shop. I wanted a small tank for easy maintenance, simple active colorful fish that would get along and minimal breeding concern (no baby fish ordeals) Upon discussing this with the store owner twice, he steered me into a situation that has brought me here.

Fish: 3 Mollies 1 pregnant female, 2 males (yikes) 1 cory cat, 1 banjo cat and 3 flying foxes
Tank: 10 gallons running 3.5 weeks (Upgrading to 30 gallons, purchase this week)
Water source: Improperly maintained well water (store bought maintenance drops)
Water Quality: Buying test kit today, clear, well aerated, filter efficient and running
Fish: Appear very healthy and active, no sign of disease, major stress concerns with mollies (gender ratio is off)

My intentions are to have my new 30 gallon tank up and running within the next 3-4 weeks and making this modification final and long term happy residents.

My areas of concern:

1) Molly gender ratio: what is the most appropriate ratio, using the least amount of fish, to minimize stress, stalking, bullying, minimize births

2) Live bearers: I'm a softee and an animal lover, but to be honest, I am inclined to let nature take it's course and let the fry go as a food source. Is this frowned upon?
I don't want a an excessive amount of fish and fixing the gender ratio just seems like I am digging a deeper hole here.

3) Brackish water: How difficult is it to maintain a brackish tank, I am willing to for optimal health, however I am conflicted about whether this is necessary for their quality of life. How about catfish and flying foxes in brackish water?

4) Cycling/algae: I am fairly acquainted with microbiology, I understand the logic of thriving and transferring bacteria, but I am looking for some guidelines:

Starting 30 gallon tank: Should I use water from existing tank? Can I culture bacteria from existing filter for transfer? Using fish to cycle, yes or no? If so, who should
help out with that? Plants for cycling, anything I can use to help move things along? Algae, I would like to provide them with it, but I don't want a filthy tank with
a strong odor, ideas?

Thanks in advance, it is greatly appreciated.
-Christine

the1stpsycho

AC Members
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It's not wrong to let nature take its course. I keep two angelfish in with my platies as population control. They are even more enthusiastic about it when I don't feed them plus they are living vacation feeders. They eat most of the babies and a few survive. I have about 6 adult platies and 6 super tiny juveniles in my planted 30. If you want to give some of them a fighting chance you can add a some fake plants.

whitecatbite

AC Members
Apr 21, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Real Name
Auden
Hello!!!!
Aw man... that seems like a crazy ordeal! I worked at a small aquarium shop and it was crazy how many employees didn't know what they were talking about!!

Anyways, with the mollies, the best thing to do if you don't want a bunch of babies is to get only females. It can be tricky to tell males and females apart, but usually the males have their anal fin tucked under them (it sort of looks like a little thin fin on their belly) and the females spread theirs out like a fan.

If you are wanting babies though, it is best to get more females than males... possibly a 5:2 ratio... the more females you have, the less the males will pick on or bully a certain female too much-- the aggression is dispersed among them :)

The only fish that would do well in slightly salty water would be the mollies- so I wouldn't do brackish as it may hurt the other fishes. Mollies can be totally ok in freshwater. Brackish is optimal for them, but they should do just fine in fresh.

With the cycling, I would use some of the water from the 10 gallon, the filter media from the 10 gallon and any rocks or decorations from the 10 gallon and transfer them into the 30 gallon. It is definitely possible to a fish-in cycle.. personally I don't do it because I feel bad when the fish die, but if you keep a very close eye on the ammonia and nitrite levels, the fish should be totally good!! Just do frequent-ish water changes if the ammonia or nitrite levels come up. You can also add quickstart which is basically just live bacteria cultures in a bottle.. so adding that in may be helpful too so that you get a lot of yummy little bacteria!

Algae will grow on its own if there is lighting on the tank-- If it is by a window there will be even more algae! What I use to control algae is a soft-bristled toothbrush since I don't have any algae eating fish. The toothbrush removes diatoms and green algae like a charm and won't scratch the glass!

Good luck!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store