stringy/flakey white stuff in tank??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

suitable4frank

Registered Member
Apr 2, 2014
I swear to god I just posted this but apparently not??

I got a new tank about a month ago, set it up with a filter & heater & plastic plants & all, left it to settle with some tap safe and some other stuff to stop fish from dying.

After a few days I realised a white stringy build up that looked a lot like cobwebs around my plants and decorations. I asked my friend who knows a lot about fish and she said for me to add more of the stuff that stops your fish from dying, so I tried that.

It calmed it down, but instead of being long strings they turned into flakey bits and made my water much more cloudy.

I decided to change 20% of the water, clean the filter, clean all my decorations then only put the heater and filter back as the build up was mainly around the decorations.

It's gotten on a little better but there's still stuff in the water!
is it safe to add fish to it like this? Or should I clear it up fully?

Hopefully someone can tell me what it is so I can clear it up once and for all.

003.JPG 004.JPG

whitecatbite

AC Members
Apr 21, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Real Name
Auden
That stuff shouldn't hurt your fish at all! It may be some sort of bacterial colony. Your fish may even nibble at it for food. It is sort of ugly, so what you can do is get a little toothbrush (never used) and scrub it off-- it works well. I haven't come up with a solution to getting rid of it-- your best bet is to just keep the water quality very stable! Regular 1-2 weekly water changes to keep ammonia and nitrites from building up. Also keeping the a tiny bit dirty (not cleaning everything until it is super clean ESPECIALLY anything in the filter) will help out with stable water quality!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store