Water PH 4.0

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

donnacona

Registered Member
Mar 1, 2014
I have a 36 gallon tank with 2 large goldfish and I do a 5 gallon water change once in a while. Yesterday I got a PH meter and today I checked their rank and the PH was 4.0.
First what is the proper PH for goldfish and second if I have to raise the PH what would be the safest way to do it so there will be no PH shock.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Are you sure the reading is correct?? 4.0 is acid, veryyyy acid. Are you sure you have a correct kit??

If there is too much "gunk", too much fish, ect, you will need to up the water changes or the size of the water change,

qwe123

AC Members
Jul 30, 2008
Western Mass
To answer the question of preferred pH for goldfish, they can tolerate 4.5–10.5, but prefer 5.5–7.0.

I'd also make sure the reading is accurate, maybe take a sample to your LFS to double check... As well as up the water changes. I'd do that 5 gallons out of 36 for two large goldfish at least twice a week...

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
a 36 gallon tank with goldfish and you do a 5 gal water change every once in awhile??
how often is "once in awhile"?

the reason I ask... goldfish are considered messy fish... which = lots of waste . this in turns leads to waste build up in the tank which often leads to unstable tank parameters(usually acidic water) as the buffering capabilities cannot keep up with the acid forming from nitrogenous waste build up.
I'd suggest you look into this as a possible cause to your water chemistry issues.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I agree. Most goldfish aquarists would say two goldfish is too much for a 36g, depending upon the goldfish perhaps. But regardless, you must do larger water changes (I would say half the tank, no less) and at least once a week.

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
did you calibrate the meter with a reference solution? If it is digital and not liquid then you need to calibrate before using because light on the probes or fluctuation in temp can cause the meter to read pH incorrectly. A lot of these meters are more trouble than they are worth unless you go with an expensive water proof meter like HM or blue lab. If you dont want to drop the cash then buy a pool test kit or API fresh water master kit (although with API i think you can only tell if the sample is 6.0 or higher).

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store