New need some help Please.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shayRN78

AC Members
Apr 4, 2014
Hi. I am new here and fairly new aquarium owner. I have a 25 gal tank. Tank is appx 5 months old. Planted (not sure of types of plants). I have been losing fish! Test Ph 6.0, no ammonia, no nitrite, nitrate 5.0. I am not sure why my Ph keeps dropping. I have been doing almost daily H20 changes. I plan on just keeping guppies but I am getting very frustrated... If I keep killing fish I will just take the stinking tank down! I have read that putting a bag of crushed coral may help? Any suggestions welcome.
Thank you.:hypnotized:

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
Hello and welcome. We have all had some problems in the past getting a tank started and balanced. You are not alone.

Would you please tell us a little more about your tank? Be specific when you can or just tell us what you know.
What lights are on your tank?
Is it by a window?
What temperature is the water?
How are you treating the water when you add it to the tank? (dechlorinator or some other product?)
What kinds of fish are in the tank now?
How many of them?
How many have died?
What filter do you have?

We'll figure this out. Don't give up yet.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
You said you dont know why your PH keeps dropping. Do you use something to buffer ( raise or lower) the PH? PH spikes and drops can harm and even kill fish.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
As already said, more data on this tank is needed before we start guessing on answers.

I might also suggest you review another recent thread on much the same topic, raising GH and pH:
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?277298-Raising-pH-with-Coral-or

As I posted therein, you need to know the GH, KH and pH of your source water, presumably tap water. This will allow us to determine what you're asking. Trying to adjust water parameters without knowing this data is very serious, since one is stumbling blindly into natural scientific processes and this only leads to more trouble and fish stress/loss.

Byron.

shayRN78

AC Members
Apr 4, 2014
The tank is a Fluval accent 25 gallon. LED lights came with the tank. Heater is set at 79 degrees. I was using Seachem neutral regulator. I had a tank as a kid and don't remember it being this complicated! I just went to local pet store to get some crushed coral. I have lost about 8 guppies and my ghost shrimp. I have 3 lonely guppies left :(

shayRN78

AC Members
Apr 4, 2014
I am not sure what KH and GH are as my kit only tests for PH, ammonia, nitates and nitrites.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Also ---Are you acclimating the new fishes---How??

shayRN78

AC Members
Apr 4, 2014
I was acclimating the new fish by floating the bag on top. Then, with a bucket with water from tank slowly add tank water to bag. Then, add fish to the bucket of tank water and net the fish from bucket to tank...

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Is your test kit a liquid one?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store