What subtrate you suggest for 100 G planted tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AqEnthusiast

AC Members
Dec 19, 2011
Hi

I am redoing my 100 g tank:

Below dimensions:

L × W × Depth

Feet : 4 × 2 × 1.75

Inches : 48 × 24 × 21

Cm : 120 x 60 x 54

Ltr : ~388

Us galon : 100

Can you please suggest a good not very expensive subtrate?

And how much thickness should be of subtrate ( subtrate height )

Also I want to have good carpet. . What should I put in as good carpet. .

I have pressurised CO2.. and 4 x 54w GE StarCoat T5HO of 6500k

Looking forward to your suggestions please. .

Sent from my GT-N7100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I have 2 heavily planted tanks, both are doing very well (plant-wise). One has ECO, the other has just plain gravel with a laterite base.

AqEnthusiast

AC Members
Dec 19, 2011
I have 2 heavily planted tanks, both are doing very well (plant-wise). One has ECO, the other has just plain gravel with a laterite base.
Thanks tanker for your help.. Forgive me I don't know whats ECO and laterite base.. What do I buy for that.. and how do I know how much will I need.. Also what should be the height of this? Can you please helpme with what do you suggest for good carpet ?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Plants rooted in the substrate will grow fine in almost any substrate. The grain size can make a difference though; too large (above pea gravel) is not good, and even pea gravel can be problematic for some plants (I had a tank with this gravel). A fine gravel or sand works fine. I have also used Flourite (which is basically identical to the Eco Complete mentioned previously) and I have used a laterite layer under the gravel. In both cases, to my observation the plants did not fare any better than the same plant species in other tanks with plain fine gravel or sand and identical light and fertilization. Personally I wouldn't waste the money, though I will say that as you are intending diffused CO2 this might make a difference, but I tend to doubt it.

It also depends upon the intended fish. Some of these enriched substrates can be rough, as are both Eco Complete and Flourite. Corys for example should not be housed over these; I got this from a catfish expert some years ago, but sadly didn't listen and damaged my corys over the Flourite, which I chose because it felt less abrasive in my hand than EC. I can't speak for some of the other products, like ADA and such, as I have never used them. Substrate fish tend to fare better with sand, thinking here of corys, loaches, many loricariids, and some cichlids that are substrate feeders. I now use play sand in all my tanks, except for fine gravel in one.

Whatever the "enriched" substrate, I would seriously question the actual benefit. All aquarium plants have to take up nutrients from the water, via roots and leaves. Those in the substrate can benefit if nutrients are present in the substrate because these then dissolve into the water and are taken up by the plant roots. This is primarily why any substrate material works. You can always add nutrients to the water column via liquid fertilizers and substrate tabs without the issue of the "enriched" substrate giving out. Diana Walstad admits that after a year, there is no benefit of soil over sand/gravel because by this time these will have developed the necessary organic base to sustain the plants. Some of the enriched substrates do affect water chemisty, either short-term or more long-term. I noticed that Flourite did keep my pH a tad higher for several months. I tend to prefer inert substrates to avoid one more factor of interaction.

Byron.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
What Byron said, makes a lot of sense. Looking back, I covered my ECO Complete with a layer of "Black Moon" gravel I bought from Petsmark (same color so impossbile to tell the difference). I have Corys over this and they are OK. Depending on the plant type, I would have at lease 2.5 inches, more if you want a few swords (I love Edchinodorus swords). Byron maybe right on this, and I have heard people have success with just plain pool sand, and you can always add root food later. I still do.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
What Byron said, makes a lot of sense. Looking back, I covered my ECO Complete with a layer of "Black Moon" gravel I bought from Petsmark (same color so impossbile to tell the difference). I have Corys over this and they are OK. Depending on the plant type, I would have at lease 2.5 inches, more if you want a few swords (I love Edchinodorus swords). Byron maybe right on this, and I have heard people have success with just plain pool sand, and you can always add root food later. I still do.
Yes, even with the so-called enriched substrate, I still had to fertilize with substrate tabs and liquid, and it was the same as what I do in the sand-only tanks. I really felt I had wasted $180 for Flourite which two years later I pulled out and replaced with play sand for $14 and now a year after that the same plants are thriving as good as before, or perhaps even better.

I forgot the depth previously, sorry. I have three inches overall [= when spread evenly before landscaping] in my 5-foot 115g tank, which has the large swords. In the 70g I have about 1.5 inches of sand.

Byron.

asukawashere

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Fairfield, CT
asukawashere.com
Real Name
Amanda Wenger
Consider Turface (MVP or Pro League) for a cheap alternative to high-CEC substrates like Eco Complete or Flourite. You can get a 50lb bag for like $12 and it goes a long way—it's a little on the lightweight side, but otherwise a very effective substrate.

20cc

AC Members
Sep 9, 2012
yes turface is what i have and i dose water column and use osmocote plus root tabs . or you can buy some mineralized top soil ( bamaplants sells for $5 a bag ) and top it with estes colorqurartz sand( $25 for a 50 lb bag ) and your set. should cost you around $80 to do your tank this way...or you can get ecocomplete cost about $150 to do your tank . also depends on what plants you gonna grow...if its swords ..anubais u can just ge some pool filter sand ($10 for a 50 pound bag ) and use root tabs... if you want a carpet in the front just use a couple bags of eco in the front section of tank and use sand for the rest of the back for the plants that can feed off root tabs...hope this helped

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store