T5 HO question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kenshinH

AC Members
May 30, 2013
inside a cave
If this is your tank dimension (L48″ x W18″ x H30″), and these are your plants:
How T5 HO bulb are you gonna use?, assuming the unit has a good reflector

- anubias
- Banana Plant
- Crypts
- jungle Vals
- Madagascar lace plant
- Java fern / Java Moss
- Narrow Leaf giant hygro
- Ludwigia repens
- Brazillian micro sword
- Wisteria

Thanks!

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
If I understand your question a double strip t5ho light will work for everything except the high light Madagascar Lace plant. Daylight bulbs in the 6500k range are good.
I doubt the lace plant will do well unless you are adding CO2, and the Ludwigia repens is a little problematic as well.
Oh, the Banana Plants are almost impossible to keep alive long term, for me at least.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I would agree. I would assume the tubes will be HO (high output). I would caution that this is a lot of light, and without CO2 you may have to watch algae carefully.

Byron.

kenshinH

AC Members
May 30, 2013
inside a cave
Thanks for the quick reply! The tank has a pressurized C02 and i am following the EI dosing(dry) 100-125 gallons, except for Kno3, i put less KNo3 ( 1/2 tsp )
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forum...pdated-10-10&p=1257519&viewfull=1#post1257519

And this is my light fixture:
http://www.amazon.com/WavePoint-48-Inch-216-Watt-Output-Lighting/dp/B0027J4SCI
I use 1 zoomed ultra sun and 2 flora sun

The reason i ask is because im having a little bit of algae problem, The hair like algae and the one that grows in my driftwood

I really need help on this ;-( thanks

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I have never used high light and CO2, so my comments are of a general nature. But whatever the method, low-tech (natural) up to high-tech as here, the principle is exactly the same: balance between light (intensity and duration) and nutrients. If these together provide what the plants can use during the photoperiod (duration), algae has a disadvantage. But as soon as light extends beyond the available nutrients, algae will have the advantage. And in this balance, the plant species and number must be factored in as well, since different plants have different needs.

For example, here we have Java Fern and Anubias which are low light requiring plants, and thus low nutrient as well. These should be grown in shade, such as under floating plants or under overhanging larger plants like swords. But there are also some higher light requiring plants, such as the Wisteria, hygro, microsword, and aponogeton. Working out the balance with light for provide for these differing needs can be tricky.

To algae for a moment. No tank can be free of algae, if it is biologically healthy. But we aim to keep algae under control by balancing the light and nutrients for the plants. The wood in all my tanks is covered in brush algae; but it is not present on plant leaves. When I saw it increasing on the plants, I jigged the balance until it stopped. It is a bit easier for me, as I do not have any high-light requiring plants and I provide moderate light with floating plants.

Byron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store