The "BioMax Clogging/Replacement" Factor...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
Depending on which source you listen to or read about, Hagen's BioMax ceramic pieces that are placed as the last stage in the AquaClear HOB series' media baskets will/can either last almost forever or will, eventually, become "clogged" thereby rendering them impossible to harbor new bacterial colonies...does anyone have any more "definitive" feedback on this phenomenon? Will these ceramic pieces get clogged over time, to the point they actually need to be replaced, and if so, how do we know when that is? When we experience wild ammonia spikes or cycle crashes?

I was under the assumption that pieces like the sponge/foam block and BioMax pellets could pretty much keep going until they're literally falling apart...

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
I use ceramic rings in all of my canisters, placed last, and don't see how they can become clogged; I mean, with what? With pre-filters and sponges trapping all the gunk and regular filter maintenance, ceramic rings should last forever. I've had 1 bag for 7 years; I bought the others 4 years ago and my ammonia and nitrite readings are 0. As a matter of fact, the 7 year old bag is handling the bio duties for my 29g. So unless they disintegrate, I don't see why you'd have to replace them.(Providing you're taking care of your filter)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Pre filters and sponges do not trap ALL the gunk, just not going to happen. While they will trap "most" depending on how fine or coarse they are, some will always get through. This smaller stuff, most of it not visible to our eyes is what can potentially clog cylinders. While I don't think they need to be replaced at the frequency the manufacturer says, it can't hurt to rinse them off yearly IMO.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
What I'm referring to are the claims that the ceramic bio material becomes "full" with bacterial colonies, therefore not able to "absorb" anymore to colonize the noodles/rings etc; some claim these rings have a "life expectancy" so to speak in terms of how much beneficial bacteria they can hold...

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
the bacteria in your ceramic media will be proportional to the bioload in your tank. It's like any other ecosystem, the population of the predators (the nitrifying bacteria) are dependent on the population of the prey (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)

I rinse my ceramic media every time I rinse my filter pads - usually every other week.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
the bacteria in your ceramic media will be proportional to the bioload in your tank. It's like any other ecosystem, the population of the predators (the nitrifying bacteria) are dependent on the population of the prey (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)
So what does this mean...the ceramic bio material WILL clog up eventually with POPULATED bacteria?

I rinse my BioMax bags in the removed tank water, too, whenever I rinse out my AquaClear's sponge...

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
So what does this mean...the ceramic bio material WILL clog up eventually with POPULATED bacteria?
No it doesn't mean that at all, the population will grow proportionally to the size of the nutrients available THEN it will stop growing - just like the population of lions on the Serengeti is proportional to the gazelles and zebras available to it. The lion population does not continue to grow past the point that the prey resources can sustain it.

I'm hoping this analogy is making sense.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
No it doesn't mean that at all, the population will grow proportionally to the size of the nutrients available THEN it will stop growing - just like the population of lions on the Serengeti is proportional to the gazelles and zebras available to it. The lion population does not continue to grow past the point that the prey resources can sustain it.

I'm hoping this analogy is making sense.
While I appreciate the analogy, being an animal lover, it's not really making sense to me...

Look, here's the thing: I just want to know if there is ANY validation to the claims out there that ceramic bio material (such as Hagen's BioMax, which I use in my AquaClear 110) CAN actually eventually "clog up" and be rendered unsupportive -- not by debris, algae or anything like that, but by populations of BB colonies themselves, whereby the nodules are "filled" and "clogged" and can't "grow" any more bacteria...

Or, is this really nothing at all to be worried about and I can sleep soundly knowing this bio material is pretty much good forever...or until it literally begins crumbling apart?

I will try and find some links to what I'm talking about...

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
Here's one such reference I found on a Chiclid specific forum:

Bio rings will lose surface area over time. It's a long time but they don't last forever. They start to clog after time with waste and break down. Rinsing them in tank water helps but the older the rings get the less surface area there is for the BB to grow. Now you can make them last longer then normal. I have extra rings. I rotate them. I have more then 1 filter on my tanks. At least 1 hob and a canister. I change the rings in stages. 1 month at a time changing one tray or bag in the AC's. I take the dirty rings and boil them clean (Would be very surprised at how much gunk is left in them even after rinsing them in tank water) for about 20 minutes. Let them dry, then store them. The batch I clean does not go in use for 2 months.( Just what I do ). And no i have never sent a tank into a mini cycle doing this either. I replace any broken rings or worn down rings. I have rings that are 8 years old. As for the sponge unless it's literally falling apart just rinse it out and put it back in. And carbon is good for taking med's out of the tank. Other then that it's a waste of money to keep replacing them and it's really never needed in a tank.

Note the first couple of sentences with regard to the BioMax...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store