Sump Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aussie pride

AC Members
Jun 21, 2010
Alright, I'm picking up a new tank for my Africans since their old 90g decided to crack but anyway, the tank is sumped but with no media in the sump. What would you run? I'm thinking something like:

First Section:Macropore or Chemi-Pure Elite, Filter floss and fine sponge
Second Section: Jap-Mat sandwiching (upright like this - |:::| ) bio balls, Marine Pure Spheres and maybe something else
Third Section: Pump and heater

OR

First section: Jap-Mat
Second Section: Bio balls, fine sponge, Marine Pure, chemical filtration
Third Section: Pump and heater

Its a 3'x18"x18" sump on a 1m x 60cm x 70cm (LxWxH) tank and it has been cleaned since the picture was taken.

Screen Shot 2014-04-06 at 4.50.30 pm.png

Screen Shot 2014-04-06 at 4.50.30 pm.png

Last edited:

viboy

Born Sarcastic
Mar 15, 2002
BC, Canada
Why not fill the first chamber with bioballs with a layer of sponge media on top of it for mechanical filtration. In mine I have kitchen scrubbers for bio filtration with a layer of sponge on top of that and then on top of that I lay some filter floss for fine filtration. I planted the second chamber to help with the nitrates. This works great as my south american cichlids destroy any plants I have in the tank. You can also get sponge to fit in the skinny little sections as added filtration. I don't bother with chemical filtration at all. I will try and take a picture of it all tomorrow so that you have a better idea of what I have set up.

Does the sump have a distribution tray at the beginning to evenly distribute the water over whatever media you put in? If not then this is something you may want to manufacture before you finish you installation.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
was this used for a marine tanks before??

looks similar to some refugiums I've seen.

many sumps use trays layered in the first chamber(usually mat of some sort then biomedia), then baffles to the second chamber in your case this is where the live media is placed.. sand, plants etc then pout to the return where the return pump is. this one is not drilled so the return pump would be submersible pump which would take up most of the return chamber.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
You could go the lazy route and throw a few bulky sponge filters in there. I did it and love it! If I ever need a hospital/qt tank, I just pull a sponge for it

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
You could go the lazy route and throw a few bulky sponge filters in there. I did it and love it! If I ever need a hospital/qt tank, I just pull a sponge for it
That's a smart idea, Glabe! Smart and lazy... I like it!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
That's a smart idea, Glabe! Smart and lazy... I like it!

So simple it's genius! A couple of 4-port air pumps and 8 big sponge bubblers. How's that for a dying forum.

Thing is, the OP's sump is a fancy baffled job. Prolly more conducing to media stuffage.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
the 'fancy baffle job' is really used to reduce bubbles in the refugium and reduce turbulence.

some minor modifications would allow the use of the first chamber for filtration..since turbulence is good for aeration and bio media.
you could build shelves or simply install a shelf for the filter pad then place bio media under the pads.

personally I would instal a good light and use the middle chamber as a scrubber and heavily plant the chamber. (think algae scrubber here)

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
the 'fancy baffle job' is really used to reduce bubbles in the refugium and reduce turbulence.

some minor modifications would allow the use of the first chamber for filtration..since turbulence is good for aeration and bio media.
you could build shelves or simply install a shelf for the filter pad then place bio media under the pads.

personally I would instal a good light and use the middle chamber as a scrubber and heavily plant the chamber. (think algae scrubber here)
I agree... Distribute over media in the first with a spray bar, heavily plant chamber 2 with fast growing stem plants like wisteria and hornwort, add a light, and then heater and pump in chamber 3.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store