Re-decorate my 55g tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Souradeep

Registered Member
Apr 8, 2014
Kolkata, India
Real Name
Souradeep Sarkar
Hi friends. Though I have not posted here before, but I follow the threads regularly. For the past 20 months I have been keeping Oscars, and have almost no experience with other species. Now I want to try with with some new species, but I am completely at a loss. I don't know their requirements, or their compatibilities. I have a tank of dimension 30'' * 18'' * 24'', around 55g. I want to keep couple of pearl scale angels and couple ofSeverums. Are they compatible?
i would also like to have a couple of silver dollars. So my question is can I keep the above mentioned fishes together, and if so, their counts to. I would also like to the other fishes I can keep. I will sell them off after 3-4 moths, so the space will not be a problem. Thank you guys, let the advices shower.

Last edited:

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Well, in regards to the angels - they will do fine in a 55gal tank. I do not know if they will get along with the Severums, but since they are both cichlids I'd be careful. The silver dollars are high-end plant eaters, meaning they will demolish anything green and not plastic in your tank. If you want to house them you will need a school of at least 5, preferably more, and will need fake plants for decor. I know that angels and silver dollars prefer a 'planted' (fake plants) environment, with driftwood, plants for cover, and a sand substrate. You will want to overfilter, as all of these fish get fairly large.

Other fish that can go in with the angels and dollars are the following:

Cories, Serpea Tetra, Black Skirt Tetra, most dwarf gouramis, all rainbowfish, and most livebearers. Note that black skirts may harass the angelfish, and that you should avoid any gouramis under 1in long with adult angelfish, as the angels will eat anything that fits into their mouth. Rainbowfish need space to swim, and will do well in that tank. Livebearers will breed their way into overpopulating, so if possible only get male individuals or just skip them entirely.

Souradeep

Registered Member
Apr 8, 2014
Kolkata, India
Real Name
Souradeep Sarkar
Thank you Mr. Palmer. I was thinking about 4 angels, 4 silver dollars, 2 gouramis, 2 corydoras, and a pleco. Will that work? I will transfer them to a bigger tank after 3-4 months.

Symbol

AC Members
Aug 26, 2012
Corydoras generally like to be in groups. A single pair will likely be very nervous and shy. I'd say you'd be better off with at least six of the same species.

Pleco will depend on the species. There are many different varieties of pleco available. Some of them (the "common" pleco in particular) are known for eating the slime coat off of other fish. Especially flat-bodied fish like angels and silver dollars. I think rubberlip plecos and bristlenose plecos are generally considered safe in that regard. They also stay relatively small (6-ish inches) as opposed to high-fins or commons which can grow to a foot long or even two feet in the case of the latter!

If you're going to get two gouramis, just make sure that you don't get two males as they tend to become aggressive toward each other. A male-female pair would be suitable for some species of gourami but, again, depending on the exact variety you're planning on getting, you may find it's better to get a trio (one male and two females). Sometimes a male can be hard on a lone female and it helps if he can divide his attentions between two.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Silver dollars are schoolers so go with six and two angels.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store