Algae ID.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nocturnus

AC Members
Feb 26, 2004
Central Texas
www.photo-mojo.net
Real Name
Ed
Camera Used
Canon 70d
So, this driftwood is old. It developed an algae problem in my old 75g tank. I removed it, did h2o2 treatments and thought I killed it off. This piece also air dried and was out of water for at least 3 months.

About 8 days ago, I got my new 65 up and running (there about). This tank had no fish until this past Sunday. This tank was tap water (don't have any readings as of right now for anything other then pH should be ~7.4 or so). This one piece of wood started growing the same algae as it had previous. Would tossing that piece of wood into the oven after it drys out help kill it? The other piece of wood is fine and nothing is growing.

Also to be noted, no lights on the tank. Just ambient light from the apt and no direct sun.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
It's not algae... It's bacteria, and it's harmless. Some fish and definitely snails will eat it happily. You make a real mess trying to remove it. So just let it be. It will go away.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Nocturnus

AC Members
Feb 26, 2004
Central Texas
www.photo-mojo.net
Real Name
Ed
Camera Used
Canon 70d
I know what you are talking about, but I really didn't think this is what that was. I had that growth back over a year ago when I put these pieces in the tank. The bacteria growth to me looked to be like someone kinda wrapped cotton candy around the wood. My other piece of wood should be doing the same thing then. It was out of the tank for a month and was bone dry also, but it's totally clean.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
I've never seen white algae... It photosynthesizes, so I don't think it can be white. Macro bacteria can appear at any time, but typically I've only seen it when putting something new in the aquarium. It is possible that it reappeared on the dried driftwood because you "made it new" by drying it out. If it starts spreading around the tank on its own, then you might need to pay it more attention, but I'd be willing to bet it will "disappear" on its own over time or by being consumed by an aquatic creature in your tank.

To your question about drying it in the oven... Unless you have a kiln, your oven doesn't get hot enough to dry it completely and that might start a fire. It is not suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I also think that is brush algae (aka beard algae). The photo may be misleading in colour, as I would suspect the algae is more dark green than it appears here. BTW, just for the record, if it were a white fungus...some of this is safe, but some is deadly toxic.

Algae of some form is going to be present in every fish tank. It is impossible to keep a fish aquarium completely free of algae; such a tank would not be biologically balanced or healthy. The only detriment from algae is if it begins to affect plant growth (if there are live plants) and we aim to control this. But on its own, algae serves a function much the same a splants, in removing organics and producing oxygen. The wood in my tanks is covered in brush/beard algae, but it stays off the plant leaves provided I keep the balance biologically. Even if you were to somehow kill all the algae on that chunk of wood, placing the wood in an aquarium would inevitably cause new algae to appear.

Byron.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I get that whenever I trim my echinodorus cordifolius. It grows on the stem below where I trimmed it. My otos quickly eat it off once they find it though. Interestingly this is the only place I've seen it grow in my tank, no other plants or DW. I believe this is a fungus. I once took a picture of it, I'll post it if I find it.

Nocturnus

AC Members
Feb 26, 2004
Central Texas
www.photo-mojo.net
Real Name
Ed
Camera Used
Canon 70d
I'm just annoyed by it. I either need to get that junk gone, or remove that piece of wood and get a different one to go in.

And yes, the color is prob off a little.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I'd get rid if the wood. The fungus, if that's what it is, must like it as a food source. And that means fungus will be around for a long time feeding off of that wood. Once my otos eat the dead plant matter, the fungus is gone/dormant in my tank.

Hard to see but here's the picture I took in my tank. It's growing on the decaying stub on the lower left.

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store